• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is it legal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? tx

i was married??? in puerto rico in 1974. a marriage that never should have happened. It took me many years to wise up and leave. after many moves from city to city somewhere along the line alot of documents were lost. I contacted pr on getting a copy of the marriage decree and was given the runaround and at that point i contacted the governors office in ohio where i was living at the time for help. they contacted puerto rico and no documents were found, they contacted me and told me to send certain info to puerto rico so they can look for the document. I gave them what i could remember. when i finally received "A" document it only contained the info i gave them. I was never able to afford to get a divorce when i wanted to do to a medical problem that arose after and couldnt afford to pay for a divorce. Now I am being told that my husband needs to get a divorce and since his parents were going to puerto rico to visit family they went to get a copy of the document for him. What they were told was that the minister had passed away prior to filing the paperwork. they also said that since there was no legal document filed, we were never legally married. Is that fact? if he didnt file the paperwork acknowledging that he had married us and the church since then had a fire and no longer has any records prior to the fire, can he indeed say we were not marrried and can he remarry without a legal divorce and not be considered bigomy? we didnt live in texas as a married couple, only california. I recently moved to texas.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential