• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it O.K. for me to contact the Court Administrator and ask for a copy of a hearing?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wendy8342

What is the name of your state? VA

Motion was done in a zoom conference that I wasn't able to attend due to work.

Question is...is it bad if contact the court administrator and ask if there a copy of the zoom conference or transcript or is contacting the court administrator a big no-no kind of like me trying to contact the judge?

I know most divorce records are public and you can go to the court computer and type in a name or case and find records, so I contacted the general court phone number and asked if there was a copy of the zoom conference or a transcript and she told me I had to contact the Judge's office and gave me the Court Administrator's name and phone number. The emails my lawyer forwarded to me were from the same court administrator on how to attend the zoom conference, the documents my husband's lawyer wanted to be used in the hearing were sent to the same court administrator, who forwarded them to my lawyer, who forwarded them to me.

Wasn't too happy with the motion and I am not sure if my lawyer made all my points, so asking my lawyer to ask the court administrator kind of makes it sound like I am questioning him and there is no suggest I am question him if I can see the video/transcript first. Lawyer gave me end result of the motion but I have a lot of follow up questions as the motion had different parts and talking to him for an hour he would bill me. Lastly, seeing the video or transcript would help me see the tone and other things than just asking my lawyer what happened with X, Y or Z.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? VA

Motion was done in a zoom conference that I wasn't able to attend due to work.

Question is...is it bad if contact the court administrator and ask if there a copy of the zoom conference or transcript or is contacting the court administrator a big no-no kind of like me trying to contact the judge?

I know most divorce records are public and you can go to the court computer and type in a name or case and find records, so I contacted the general court phone number and asked if there was a copy of the zoom conference or a transcript and she told me I had to contact the Judge's office and gave me the Court Administrator's name and phone number. The emails my lawyer forwarded to me were from the same court administrator on how to attend the zoom conference, the documents my husband's lawyer wanted to be used in the hearing were sent to the same court administrator, who forwarded them to my lawyer, who forwarded them to me.

Wasn't too happy with the motion and I am not sure if my lawyer made all my points, so asking my lawyer to ask the court administrator kind of makes it sound like I am questioning him and there is no need to question him if I can see the video/transcript first. Lawyer gave me end result of the motion but I have a lot of follow up questions as the motion had different parts and talking to him for an hour he would bill me. Lastly, seeing the video or transcript would help me see the tone and other things than just asking my lawyer what happened with X, Y or Z.
File a motion requesting a copy of the zoom conference.

wendy8342

File a motion requesting a copy of the zoom conference.
Thank you for your quick response. But I think my lawyer would need to file the motion and asking him goes back to the (1) may seem like I'm questioning him (2) would cost me money

adjusterjack

Contact the court clerk and ask how to get a copy of the recorded proceedings. You will probably have to pay a fee for it.

zddoodah

If you want a copy of a hearing transcript or recording, contact the court reporter or the clerk in the courtroom. There's no reason why you'd have to make a motion.

I think my lawyer would need to file the motion and asking him goes back to the (1) may seem like I'm questioning him
If you have a strained relationship with your lawyer, you may want to consider hiring a new one.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If you want a copy of a hearing transcript or recording, contact the court reporter or the clerk in the courtroom. There's no reason why you'd have to make a motion.

If you have a strained relationship with your lawyer, you may want to consider hiring a new one.
In many courts, a motion is required.

_HappyDad_

Look on your Court's website. They may have a link where you can request A/V copies of your hearing. In my area, you can get all of your hearings on a single DVD for $25, and they will mail it right to your home.

Just Blue

Look on your Court's website. They may have a link where you can request A/V copies of your hearing. In my area, you can get all of your hearings on a single DVD for $25, and they will mail it right to your home.
Come on, HappyDad, you have been here long enough to know not to post to old threads. The OP hasn't even logged on here in a month and a half.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">