• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it okay to turn royalty free images into digital embroidery files for sale?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

You should consult with an attorney in your area or with the copyright holder or create your own work. Anything less than that could be a legal risk for you and your business.

Good luck.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You should consult with an attorney in your area or with the copyright holder or create your own work. Anything less than that could be a legal risk for you and your business.

Good luck.
But he doesn't want to!

Hahaha, what's going on here? Are your answers always just "consult an attorney" and then proceed to clown people for wanting internet advice...on an internet forum called free advice?

quincy

Hahaha, what's going on here? Are your answers always just "consult an attorney" and then proceed to clown people for wanting internet advice...on an internet forum called free advice?
"Clown people?"

I am only trying to keep you from getting sued. Sorry.

"If David wants to leave its fate to Internet advice, he should have good insurance coverage."

You're making me sound like an idiot for asking YOU for advice then talk about me like I'm not here and the one who started this thread.

I'm half kidding, but it did feel like you guys were teaming up to make me sound/feel like a whiny brat/idiot...but I guess if the shoe fits...hahaha

I guess I'll do what I already knew I could have done before arrive here - go consult an attorney.

Thanks for your help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There are limits to what an internet forum can do. If you logged on to a medical forum saying "my left arm hurts and I'm a little short of breath", would you want the responders to say "ahh, it's just heartburn...drink some water and take some antacid tables"? Or, would you prefer that they tell you to go to the ER?

quincy

"If David wants to leave its fate to Internet advice, he should have good insurance coverage."

You're making me sound like an idiot for asking YOU for advice then talk about me like I'm not here and the one who started this thread.

I'm half kidding, but it did feel like you guys were teaming up to make me sound/feel like a whiny brat/idiot...but I guess if the shoe fits...hahaha

I guess I'll do what I already knew I could have done before arrive here - go consult an attorney.

Thanks for your help.
I think your decision to see an IP attorney in your area is smart. :)

If what you were planning to do with the "royalty free" image was clearly legal, I wouldn't have advised as I have. But it's not clearly legal.

Stock photo sites have been sued (recently, too) by copyright holders whose images were being licensed and/or sold by the stock photo sites without the knowledge of or permission from the copyright holders.

Users of these purloined images can have the images pulled from their online locations or have items that have used these images seized.

That is from where my cautionary advice arises. I offer it for your protection.

Good luck.

Here is a link to one complaint (out of many) that has been filed against a stock photo company (in this case, Getty Images):
https://assets.documentcloud.org/documents/3001353/Filed-Complaint-Exhibits.pdf
Getty Images (the largest of the stock photo agencies) has been sued several times for licensing images without consent of the copyright holders but the other, smaller agencies have had their share of DMCA takedown notices, filed by copyright holders against the companies trying to license their works.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">