• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it over?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
When I was 11 and 12 years old I was molested by my mother's boyfriend. Once moving out of the house with my mother I waited 2 yeas before pressing charges against him. Once I did I had to wait a year for the case to be approved (? dont know if thats the correct way to put it?) but once it went through the state decided to drop the case because there wasn't enough evidence. Is there anything at all I can do anymore, like take it to a different court or anything?... or is it over?


Senior Member
The state has absolute discretion on a criminal prosecution. If there is not enough evidence, there is not enough evidence. You can always ask the prosecutor what was missing and what can be done, but without witnesses or evidence they just can't make a case stick. And you cannot just go to another criminal court and start over - it does not work that way.

However, what you CAN do is consult an attorney and see if you have enough of a case to make a successful civil suit. Unfortunately, this will likely cost you thousands of dollars up front, so you have to weigh this carefully.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential