• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it possible to get an abbreviated custody order?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nibake

What is the name of your state?
Case is in MN, I live in ND now.

I have googled in vain and can't find a good answer. I have full legal and physical custody but this is at the end of the entire court order regarding the dissolution.

I would rather not have to present this entire document every time I need to show proof of custody for the rest of my child's minor life, since it is long and includes TMI such as all of our finances at the time of divorce, marital problems, health, etc.

Is it not possible to get an order that just shows custody?

EDIT: For anyone who finds this in a search and doesn't want to wade through the utter swill that exists on this forum, I did some research of my own and found that the best line of action would be to request in writing, i.e. write a letter to the judge asking for the abbreviated order.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
When you are required to show your order (I can't imagine that it is required that often), simply show a copy with the extraneous information redacted.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I never had a problem simply providing copies of the pages that included the actual divorce info and the portions regarding custody. The nitty-gritty dirty details were irrelevant to anyone who needed to see my custody order.

Zigner

Honestly, having full legal and physical custody over a period of 18+ years, including special education services, etc., I can't think of a single time that I was required to show my custody order(s).

nibake

I never had a problem simply providing copies of the pages that included the actual divorce info and the portions regarding custody. The nitty-gritty dirty details were irrelevant to anyone who needed to see my custody order.
This has worked in some cases, but certain government agencies require the entire, certified copy.

xylene

This is irrelevant to my question. Thanks, though.
I thought perhaps you might be being treated unfairly or unreasonably, which could be a lot easier to address without legal help.

If they've already told you they require the "require the entire, certified copy" then there probably is nothing you can do at all, which you've probably deduced already. It is an understandable frustration.

nibake

It's not unfair or unreasonable, but it is frustrating and difficult. Especially whenever a physical copy is required, it doesn't even fit into a standard envelope. I've ran into this problem on a regular basis for the past couple of years, so any improvement would make the next 12 years a lot easier.

I thought surely there would be some common practice for simply having one or two pages that address custody...especially when it is so simple (full physical and legal, in my case)

nibake

I don't know your situation, but it is definitely not silly. Being a full time single parent, housekeeper, and working a full time job creates a need for as much simplicity as possible when it comes to bills and paperwork that plagues my life. Yes, I would gladly pay a fee for the order.

xylene

Your expenditures on legal sized envelopes is that high? A box of 100 at staples of amazon is like 20-30 dollars.

I'm still just not understanding who needs this routinely again and again.

There is no simple 'fee' to be paid. You'll need a lawyer.

Zigner

I cannot fathom why the OP needs to send certified copies of this order out so often. I mean really - three kids - all with special education needs...IEP's, out-of-state placements, etc., and I can't ever remember even having to show the order to anybody, much less send it to them.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I don't know your situation, but it is definitely not silly. Being a full time single parent, housekeeper, and working a full time job creates a need for as much simplicity as possible when it comes to bills and paperwork that plagues my life. Yes, I would gladly pay a fee for the order.
Oh well, that changes everything. No one here has ANY idea what it's like to be a full-time parent, have a full-time job and take care of a house. Plus elderly parents. And pets. Or also goes to school. Nope, none at all. So you would be best served by consulting with an attorney.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">