• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it possible to get an abbreviated custody order?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HRZ

Look, if somebody wants a full copy of a 12 page decision....send it to them ..it will be cheaper than getting into any debate over short version....and odds are nobody reads the 12 pages anyway ?

Just Blue

I cannot fathom why the OP needs to send certified copies of this order out so often. I mean really - three kids - all with special education needs...IEP's, out-of-state placements, etc., and I can't ever remember even having to show the order to anybody, much less send it to them.
Remember thats irrelevant to the question asked by op. ;)

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Oh well, that changes everything. No one here has ANY idea what it's like to be a full-time parent, have a full-time job and take care of a house. Plus elderly parents. And pets. Or also goes to school. Nope, none at all. So you would be best served by consulting with an attorney.
Heads up to OP: stealth is being stealthily sarcastic.

Because yes, the single parents who have responded here are unimpressed with your "plight".

LdiJ

I don't know your situation, but it is definitely not silly. Being a full time single parent, housekeeper, and working a full time job creates a need for as much simplicity as possible when it comes to bills and paperwork that plagues my life. Yes, I would gladly pay a fee for the order.
There is no such thing that you can order and pay a fee for. Basically, you would be asking the judge to re-write an order leaving out all of that other stuff, therefore vacating (ending) that part of your divorce. It just doesn't work that way. You could file a case to modify visitation which would get you a separate order on the modification but, your ex would have to be served and have the option to object or try to change the court orders regarding custody. All in all, you would open up a huge can of worms for no valid reason at all.

nibake

There is no such thing that you can order and pay a fee for. Basically, you would be asking the judge to re-write an order leaving out all of that other stuff, therefore vacating (ending) that part of your divorce. It just doesn't work that way. You could file a case to modify visitation which would get you a separate order on the modification but, your ex would have to be served and have the option to object or try to change the court orders regarding custody. All in all, you would open up a huge can of worms for no valid reason at all.
Thanks for what was one of the more helpful answers here. Your assumption that there is "no valid reason at all" is silly at best, childish at worst, but I'll overlook that.

PayrollHRGuy

What is the name of your state?
Case is in MN, I live in ND now.

I have googled in vain and can't find a good answer. I have full legal and physical custody but this is at the end of the entire court order regarding the dissolution.

I would rather not have to present this entire document every time I need to show proof of custody for the rest of my child's minor life, since it is long and includes TMI such as all of our finances at the time of divorce, marital problems, health, etc.

Is it not possible to get an order that just shows custody?

EDIT: For anyone who finds this in a search and doesn't want to wade through the utter swill that exists on this forum, I did some research of my own and found that the best line of action would be to request in writing, i.e. write a letter to the judge asking for the abbreviated order.

NO

LdiJ

Thanks for what was one of the more helpful answers here. Your assumption that there is "no valid reason at all" is silly at best, childish at worst, but I'll overlook that.
So, you think its valid to risk losing your sole custody because you found it inconvenient to provide the full court order when someone asked you for it? Because that would be the risk you would be opening yourself up to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">