• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is It Possible to Get Royalties when Contract Did Not Include Them?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PayrollHRGuy

I can't imagine any publisher would have a contract that paid a flat fee for illustrations that would leave the illustrator with any rights to the work. While I it isn't impossible it is so unlikely that it might as well be.

quincy

I can't imagine any publisher would have a contract that paid a flat fee for illustrations that would leave the illustrator with any rights to the work. While I it isn't impossible it is so unlikely that it might as well be.
A contract with an illustrator will often be for a flat fee and some limited exclusive rights almost always will be transferred, such as reproduction and distribution rights.

But it would not be rare for an illustrator to retain some copyrights in their works.

Having a personal review of the contract in its entirety by a professional seems smart.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">