• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it possible to sue an ex-employer for unpaid wages in CA past the statute?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

abda53

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I am a web developer and had worked full time in-house for a guy who ran a small company in San Diego, CA about 10 years ago. The business ended up folding and we all moved our separate ways... except the owner still owed me a little over $2000 in unpaid wages. He has paid almost half of it since that time over the years. He claims via emails that he is hard on times and struggling financially, even though he has been saying this for 10 years now and while living in one of the most expensive cities in the country. During this time has also started or worked at several companies (not hard to find him online)

So my question is:
I believe the statute of limitation for unpaid wages in CA is 3 or 4 years.. is it possible to sue him directly in small claims?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sure, it's possible...but just be real about it. Even assuming you win (definitely not a given), how do you expect to collect? The court won't help with that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">