• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is it slander?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I started a non-profit organization to help fund a free lunch program started by a local restuarant owner. The non-profit was a separtate organization which would raise funds and reimburse invoiced expenses. After a fund raiser at this restuarant, I collected the raised funds to open a bnk account for the non-profit group. While I was away for a week on vacation, the money was locked in my office since I had not the time to open an acount. When I returned, I found out that the restauratn owner had told, or at least insinuated to others that I had stolen the money, and was a con man. Her lawyer is now pushing me to give them all the contacts I made while setting up this organization. I have already given her the money I raised. I do not trust this woman to talk to anybody, given her past comments. I have recorded threats from her volunteers, and e-mails telling me I am scum, all from her comments about me. Should I file a slander suit to get in the first strike?

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate, currently awaiting Bar results. What I offer to you is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney-client relationship.

If she has written emails as well as verbally slandered you in your line of business or business ethics or motives, then she has libeled you too. All in all, this falls under the big umbrella of defamation.

I think your best bet is to immediately read the section on libel and slander under I believe the personal injury main heading at Freeadvice.com. If you feel you have a case, then I suggest contacting a personal injury atty who specializes in defamation at attorneypages.com. Some of them offer free consultations, which means you can get a professional opinion of whether you have a case or not.

Hope this helps.

By the way, did you set up the tax and licenses for a non-profit? Proper paperwork shows proper motives.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">