• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it Stolen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tim626

What is the name of your state? MN
I recently discussed a situation about my marriage on the immigration forum (It's over) that gave me some good answers. There's still a question about my marriage cert. It is in the possession of my wife's niece and roommate who won't give it to me. If it's mine and they refuse to release it, is legaly considered stolen? If I report it stolen and tell police I know where it is, can they proceed to enter the premises?

Curt581

Q - If it's mine and they refuse to release it, is legaly considered stolen?

A - No.

Q - If I report it stolen and tell police I know where it is, can they proceed to enter the premises?

A- 1. The police won't take such a report. 2. They won't enter the premises to retrieve it.

This is a Civil court matter.

JETX

Tim626 said:
If it's mine and they refuse to release it, is legaly considered stolen?
Depends. How did they get it??
If you gave it to them or they got it with your permission, it is NOT stolen.
If they broke into your house or otherwise took it without your permission, then it is stolen.

If I report it stolen and tell police I know where it is, can they proceed to enter the premises?
No. However, if it is in fact stolen (see above), they can negotiate its return in lieu of criminal charges.

Simple solution. Contact the issuing agency (county clerk, vital records, etc.) and get another certified copy. Matter solved..... for less than $20!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">