• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IS IT TOO LATE ??? Powder Post Beetle Damage -

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Maurriah

I am in Pennsylvania.

After having a home inspection done for insect damage and getting a verbal report that there is NO damage from either termites or carpenter ants and no evidence of either critter on 08-14-03, I decided to buy the house. Closed on 09-04, feeling confident all was well. I am not a stranger to home remodeling or circular saws and I'm almost addicted to HGTV and Trading Spaces, Bob Vila and Norm Abrams and stuff like that.

On Sunday afternoon 09-07-03 the HVAC man and I were going thru the plans to install a new hot water baseboard heat system, when he decided to investigate a hole in the oak hardwood flooring.

He put in his hand and brought out rotted wood. Then he pulled up a plank of the oak flooring. Then another and another. Turning them over - he saw holes and said - hey you got termites. And I said - the termite inspection guy said there were no termites and no damage.

But -- black is still black and white is still white.

I called the termite place and let them know there IS damage. It was agreed we meet the next morning to have the same guy inspect what was found. The damage was immediately identified as coming from "powder post beetle" and frankly I am devastated. I have this inspector on my video cam with his FULL knowledge saying this is powder post beetle exit hole damages and he describes what the situation is, why it is, what could be a possible remedy.

My son saw the property for the first time 09-05. He saw nothing wrong at that point. He loved the house as much or more than I and my daughter.

But boy was he livid when I told him what the HVAC man found on 09-07. On 09-09 the same termite inspector was there. And then on the evening of 09-10 we looked harder and decided NO ONE could be in this house alone for fear of falling thru the floors into the basement. Today is 09-12. Thank GOD it's not Friday the 13th !!!

This is a foreclosure home, age 100 years. No matter the age, it's the damage that is now [hopefully not too late ???] evident. Upon closer inspection there is also wood rot and the sill plate will need to be shored up or replaced. I was NOT told ANY of this prior to closing. I certainly didn't expect to see this sort of damages.

Another really aggravating part. The agent who represented ME as a [sic] BUYER agent [sic] advised me not to have 'house inspection' done because the BANK wasn't gonna do anything to lower the price anyway if something wrong was found. It was probably "agent routine intimidating old widow day" that day but agent told me "your HVAC guy is installing brand new heat, updating the electrical, you're getting a new roof and some windows, so you don't need a house inspection" and he left it at that. And then the week before the closing, I specifically told my [sic] agent I wanted to purchase the HOME WARRANTY Coldwell Banker offers it's buyers and sellers. Guess what ? I should have insisted or walked out. My [sic] agent - who is now my former agent - gave me the same spcheillll - your HVAC guy is gonna --- yada yada yada. Should have strongly insisted. But I TRUSTED this [sic] agent. Guess what else ? Agent's boss-broker is siding with her employee.

But on 09-10-03 the PA Attorney General was called and a complaint was filed with the Commissioner for real estate. My son did that for me.

Being on SSD, and a fixed income, what proceeds I will have from the sale of my current home is gonna hafta hold me over for a good couple years. I was planning on my savings for the new heat system, a new roof and chimney, and several quality replacement windows. I was not counting on spending more dollars on these newly identified damages. I have no clue as to how expensive this could get.

And unle$$ my current home is $old [fingers cro$$ed] I will be $crewed. Closing on my current home is November 03 - IF the buyer is happy after home inspection was done here.

I wait for a Lawyer to call me. Do I have legal grounds and for exactly what ? Will he represent me ? How long can this take to clear up ? I don't want to go to court and get into ligitation which could hold up this process for months or years. I planned to have the heat, new windows and roof done before I moved in. That plan could have worked - until this NEW damage was documented.

I am frustrated ..... winter is around the corner. I love this house. But. Reality stinks.

Any advice is welcome. I sit on pins and needles waiting - for the Lawyer to call, for estimates on getting this "new" damage fixed - because I now own this house, lock, stock, sill rotted damages and powder post beetle damages. We tried the 3 day recission for the bank to take back the house. You can get your money back on a bad car deal - but not on a house.

One of the next things I need to do is contact my insurance agent. I think he is gonna have a major fit.

When in doubt - don't.
~ Maurriah ~

HomeGuru

Maurriah said:
I am in Pennsylvania.

After having a home inspection done for insect damage and getting a verbal report that there is NO damage from either termites or carpenter ants and no evidence of either critter on 08-14-03, I decided to buy the house. Closed on 09-04, feeling confident all was well. I am not a stranger to home remodeling or circular saws and I'm almost addicted to HGTV and Trading Spaces, Bob Vila and Norm Abrams and stuff like that.

On Sunday afternoon 09-07-03 the HVAC man and I were going thru the plans to install a new hot water baseboard heat system, when he decided to investigate a hole in the oak hardwood flooring.

He put in his hand and brought out rotted wood. Then he pulled up a plank of the oak flooring. Then another and another. Turning them over - he saw holes and said - hey you got termites. And I said - the termite inspection guy said there were no termites and no damage.

But -- black is still black and white is still white.

I called the termite place and let them know there IS damage. It was agreed we meet the next morning to have the same guy inspect what was found. The damage was immediately identified as coming from "powder post beetle" and frankly I am devastated. I have this inspector on my video cam with his FULL knowledge saying this is powder post beetle exit hole damages and he describes what the situation is, why it is, what could be a possible remedy.

My son saw the property for the first time 09-05. He saw nothing wrong at that point. He loved the house as much or more than I and my daughter.

But boy was he livid when I told him what the HVAC man found on 09-07. On 09-09 the same termite inspector was there. And then on the evening of 09-10 we looked harder and decided NO ONE could be in this house alone for fear of falling thru the floors into the basement. Today is 09-12. Thank GOD it's not Friday the 13th !!!

This is a foreclosure home, age 100 years. No matter the age, it's the damage that is now [hopefully not too late ???] evident. Upon closer inspection there is also wood rot and the sill plate will need to be shored up or replaced. I was NOT told ANY of this prior to closing. I certainly didn't expect to see this sort of damages.

Another really aggravating part. The agent who represented ME as a [sic] BUYER agent [sic] advised me not to have 'house inspection' done because the BANK wasn't gonna do anything to lower the price anyway if something wrong was found. It was probably "agent routine intimidating old widow day" that day but agent told me "your HVAC guy is installing brand new heat, updating the electrical, you're getting a new roof and some windows, so you don't need a house inspection" and he left it at that. And then the week before the closing, I specifically told my [sic] agent I wanted to purchase the HOME WARRANTY Coldwell Banker offers it's buyers and sellers. Guess what ? I should have insisted or walked out. My [sic] agent - who is now my former agent - gave me the same spcheillll - your HVAC guy is gonna --- yada yada yada. Should have strongly insisted. But I TRUSTED this [sic] agent. Guess what else ? Agent's boss-broker is siding with her employee.

But on 09-10-03 the PA Attorney General was called and a complaint was filed with the Commissioner for real estate. My son did that for me.

Being on SSD, and a fixed income, what proceeds I will have from the sale of my current home is gonna hafta hold me over for a good couple years. I was planning on my savings for the new heat system, a new roof and chimney, and several quality replacement windows. I was not counting on spending more dollars on these newly identified damages. I have no clue as to how expensive this could get.

And unle$$ my current home is $old [fingers cro$$ed] I will be $crewed. Closing on my current home is November 03 - IF the buyer is happy after home inspection was done here.

I wait for a Lawyer to call me. Do I have legal grounds and for exactly what ? Will he represent me ? How long can this take to clear up ? I don't want to go to court and get into ligitation which could hold up this process for months or years. I planned to have the heat, new windows and roof done before I moved in. That plan could have worked - until this NEW damage was documented.

I am frustrated ..... winter is around the corner. I love this house. But. Reality stinks.

Any advice is welcome. I sit on pins and needles waiting - for the Lawyer to call, for estimates on getting this "new" damage fixed - because I now own this house, lock, stock, sill rotted damages and powder post beetle damages. We tried the 3 day recission for the bank to take back the house. You can get your money back on a bad car deal - but not on a house.

One of the next things I need to do is contact my insurance agent. I think he is gonna have a major fit.

When in doubt - don't.
~ Maurriah ~

**A: thank you for your post. If you want a response from me, please post a brief summary.

M

Maurriah

Legal Avenue ....

I'm still waiting to get a call back from the Attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">