• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it too late?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nate7574

What is the name of your state? Nevada

My wife was asked by the CFO of her company if she would accompany him to a motel room about a year and a half ago. She declined and since then her life at work has been a living hell because of him. At one point she met with the Executive VP and asked to be transfered to a different depart because the CFO was her immediate supervisor. Her request was approved and everything was ok for awhile but the last couple of months the CFO has been after her for every little thing, even if it was her supervisors fault. He even gave her a verbal warning for disrespecting him and his authority, but gave her no example of what she did or what she could do to fix it. She talked to the VP again and he told her there was nothing he could do about it, that it was personal and that if the CFO fired here there was nothing he would or could do about it because she was the expendable one. He constantly slanders her to her supervisors and when he hired her replacement he told the replacement that she was a b*%ch and she was not to associate herself with her or she would be fired. My wifes supervisors (she has three) will not say anything because they have been threatened with their jobs as well if they get involved. My wifes replacement has even been sexually harrased by him but is too afraid to say anything about it either. My wife has heard she will be getting fired soon, my question is once she gets fired is there anything legal she can do to the CFO, even though its been 1 1/2 years since the initial sexual harrasement? Is it too late to do anything? Does she have to wait until she gets fired to do anything about it? She is looking for another job, but she really doesn't want him to get away with what he has done, not matter how in-expendable he is. He is very unprofessional and has done this to other women and men in the past. Please advise!!!!!! Thanks for your time.

Beth3

No, it's not too late.

Don't hold me to this but I believe under federal law there is a 300 day statute of limitations from the most recent incident of sexual harassment. So the statute of limitations isn't measured from the time she declined to go to bed with the guy but from the last and most recent retalliation because she declined.

If your wife is fired because of this and did nothing for 300 days, THEN it would be too late.

I suggest your wife see an employment law attorney asap. She doesn't need one to file a discrimination complaint with the State or Fed's but if she wants to pursue this, I expect she will want expert legal counsel.

Good luck.

JETX

In addition to Beth's post, I will note though that the delay in reporting this incident could impact the validity of the investigation. If this incident had been reported immediately, any investigation would have been 'fresh' and not subject to later issues. The delay could be viewed by some that the incident either didn't happen (and is being manufactured now due to other reasons), or that it wasn't considered to be a signficant violation at the time (by the victim).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The Federal law is for 180 days after the last instance of harassment, which can be extended to 300 days if the state in which the harassment occurs also has a statute that the claim would fall under. Since most, if not all, states forbid sexual harassment, this should not be a problem, but she should not waste any time filing.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">