• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is it worth it to hire a lawyer for this civil suit?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

prgriffi

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My younger brother was in the family room of a friend's house last sunday night around 11 pm with two other people. Five indivduals broke into the house, the leader of which was intending to retalliate to a fight that occurred between himself and an acquaintence of my younger brother over four months ago. The acquaintence of my brother was not there that night, but the five people who broke into the house decided to attack the boys anyways. My brother's friend was being beaten by three people so my brother attempted to pull one of them off. At which point he was hit( it's most likely, but possibly not provable that he was hit with a blunt object) and suffered a significant fracture under his left eye socket. He had to have reconstructive surgery. Three of the attackers, includer the ring leader of this group has already confessed to breaking into the house and attacking the boys. This leader is under 18 and still living at home. He has had previous encounters of the same nature that the local police are aware of. What are the chances of winning a civil suit, and what sort of compensation is likely...thanks for the advice.

stagecrewgod

You will win and get a lot of money but you will never see a dime. Because he is a minor, he has 10 years to pay for it but what are the odds of you keeping tabs on him for 10 years? Don't waste the money. Take him to small claims where it is cheaper and go for the maxium but you won't see a dime.

BelizeBreeze

stagecrewgod said:
You will win and get a lot of money but you will never see a dime. Because he is a minor, he has 10 years to pay for it but what are the odds of you keeping tabs on him for 10 years? Don't waste the money. Take him to small claims where it is cheaper and go for the maxium but you won't see a dime.
Are you entering the Free Advice contest to see who can have the most ignorant reply? :rolleyes:

Now prgriffi, a civil suit cannot move forward until the criminal case has been adjudicated. However, your brother and the other injured party should use this time to seek the advice of a local personal injury attorney.

Civil recovery is possible (although no one can tell whether or not you would win without a crystal ball) . However, because the perpetrator(s) were minors, you would have to sue the parents AND the minor.

IF you win the any judgement you are awarded will have a specific time to be paid (usually 30 days). After this time is over, you can then file for a lien against any property owned by the defendants.

A judgement in cases like this, is good for 20 years total with a maximum allowable interest rate of 10%.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">