• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is joint checking part of estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

captrt

What is the name of your state?michigan.My father recently passed away and we had a joint checking account is this part of the estate now or is it mine.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

captrt said:
What is the name of your state?michigan.My father recently passed away and we had a joint checking account is this part of the estate now or is it mine.

My response:

Did you talk to your bank to find out how the account was held; e.g., "with right of survivorship"? If not, then someone is going to have to "trace" his funds to that account in order to claim them. For example, if you typically deposited your paycheck, and he deposited his social security check into that account, then a forensic accountant could give whomever wants the answer to your question - - if they're willing to pay for the accountant.

IAAL

captrt

i was told by the bank

that the account is mine but i still don't know if i have to make it part of his estate

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

captrt said:
that the account is mine but i still don't know if i have to make it part of his estate

My response:

I want you to think logically. Put on your Beenie Hat, and spin the propeller.

Now, if you've been told by the bank "that the account is [yours]", then why would you think that YOUR money must be probated in someone else's Estate? If the money doesn't belong to anyone else, what is there to probate?

IAAL

captrt

thanks for your reply

i just wanted to make sure i was doing the right thing with the account.thanks again from me and my beenie

Last edited:

captrt

also

all the money in the joint checking was his i was just on it to make out his checks if he was to sick to do it himself,so since only my name and not my money was in the account is that part of his estate,thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">