• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is joint tenancy ended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

themrs.

my husbands divorce awarded him several pieces of property. the abstract of divorce decree was filed with the regerstry of deeds in our county in the state of maine. the deeds were joint tenancy, and the abstract states the marital and non marital properties with the descriptions "shall be awarded to husband" ex-wife refuses to sign new deeds conveying the properties because she claims that they are still in joint tenancy even though the divorce abstract awarded properties to husband. our lawyer said these deeds needed to be signed by her conveying the properties over to him. then after i mentioned what maine state law title 19-a chapter 29 section 953 stated that the filing of divorce decree releases all interest of party whether interest be in fee or in statute, then he said she needs not sign the land over. I called and spoke with someone from regerstry of deeds and they said she needs to sign a quit-claim deed. then when i went up and got a copy of abstract of divorce decree the woman i spoke with said that properties that said "shall be awarded to husband" are soley owned by husband and ex does not need to sign anything. we are confused by all the different answers and are hoping to build a home on one of the properties "awarded to husband" but are afraid that if some thing happens to husband, ex-wife can get the property if the joint tenancy still stands. so i guess after all this the question is...is the property that "shall be awarded to husband" still held in joint tenancy with his ex wife?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">