• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Lyft (or Uber) at all liable for a passenger sexually assaulting the driver?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

I have read of many lawsuits against Lyft/Uber from passengers who were sexually assaulted by the driver, but have not seen any about the driver being assaulted by the passenger, I have a hard time believing this is the first case. Is it because the company is only liable for the drivers actions (even though they are independent contractors, not employees) but hold no liability for the passengers actions?
There have been drivers assaulted by passengers. Many drivers now use cameras to record their passengers to better help ensure their safety. But, if you use cameras in your vehicle, you MUST provide both written and oral notice to passengers, prior to transporting them, that you have cameras that will be recording them.

Just Blue

I have read of many lawsuits against Lyft/Uber from passengers who were sexually assaulted by the driver, but have not seen any about the driver being assaulted by the passenger, I have a hard time believing this is the first case. Is it because the company is only liable for the drivers actions (even though they are independent contractors, not employees) but hold no liability for the passengers actions?
These would be good question for your attorney/DA.

quincy

There has been quite a bit of news coverage in Arizona over Lyft and Uber driver safety after the stabbing death of a pregnant driver in January and the throat-slashing of another.

You might want to do some searching of your local papers.

Last edited:

quincy

Passengers aren't screened so drivers (just like taxi drivers, EMT drivers, bus drivers, pizza delivery drivers, etc) face some risk.

Lyft does not permit drivers to carry weapons but Uber permits drivers to carry pepper spray and non lethal weapons. Lyft has an emergency number for drivers to call, but advise calling 911 first. Uber has an in-app emergency button that calls 911. Uber also has a "share trip feature" which can allow someone known to passenger and driver to follow the drive.

But you are not in a risk free job. If you have problems with a passenger, call the police.

Just Blue

Follow your progress on the app. :p

If your friend has a car and makes you take an Uber, I would rethink that friendship.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:....taking a breath...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::LOL::D

I'm such a tech-no-dufus. I know nothing about this...I, myself, would never get in a car with a stranger. Everything about Lyft and Uber is really sketchy to me. It drove me flipping crackers that my eldest took them all the time...I'm so glad she finally moved to an area that required her to buy a car.

quincy

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:....taking a breath...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL::LOL::D

I'm such a tech-no-dufus. I know nothing about this...I, myself, would never get in a car with a stranger. Everything about Lyft and Uber is really sketchy to me. It drove me flipping crackers that my eldest took them all the time...I'm so glad she finally moved to an area that required her to buy a car.
Hahaha. :)

I will take an Uber if I am in a big city for a short period of time. It can be cheaper and easier than renting a car. But I prefer to take a taxi because of the licensing required and better background checks.

Just Blue

Hahaha. :)

I will take an Uber if I am in a big city for a short period of time. It can be cheaper and easier than renting a car. But I prefer to take a taxi because of the licensing required and better background checks.
I agree...I used to take taxi's all the time...but where I live now it's not necessary. I have pretty much everything within a mile.

quincy

I agree...I used to take taxi's all the time...but where I live now it's not necessary. I have pretty much everything within a mile.
I got used to having everything either within walking distance or near public transportation when I lived in Philadelphia. I liked it. In Michigan, though, you really need a car. And I like my car better than public transportation. :)

Just Blue

I got used to having everything either within walking distance or near public transportation when I lived in Philadelphia. I liked it. In Michigan, though, you really need a car. And I like my car better than public transportation. :)
I just walk...there is VERY little I need that's driving distance. Insurance is wicked expensive here. Actually everything is except housing. I don't get why they call MA taxachusetts.

quincy

I just walk...there is VERY little I need that's driving distance. Insurance is wicked expensive here. Actually everything is except housing. I don't get why they call MA taxachusetts.
I believe Michigan has the highest car insurance rates. For some reason.

I should add that Uber and Lyft and the smart Uber/Lyft driver has (liability) insurance.

And one additional thought: There have been reports of attacks on Uber/Lyft drivers, by ne'er-do-wells who have posed as the passengers who called for the rides, jumping into the cars before the real passengers arrive.

Last edited:

quincy

Why do you (OP) believe that the person who entered your car was the one that requested the ride? Why did you pick up an unknown passenger?
I think that could be the issue with Vinny's passenger. The name and photo that Lyft (and Uber) provide is for the safety of the drivers.

Especially in Arizona, where there have been several reported incidents of passengers attacking drivers, you would think the drivers would be extra cautious.

Vinny's ultimate complaint is against the one who assaulted him, not Lyft.

PayrollHRGuy

Vinny should report the issue to the police. If they feel the need they can take action to get Lyft's records. If they do they will have a suspect that they can put in a lineup and see if Vinny can ID them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">