• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Lyft (or Uber) at all liable for a passenger sexually assaulting the driver?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Vinny should report the issue to the police. If they feel the need they can take action to get Lyft's records. If they do they will have a suspect that they can put in a lineup and see if Vinny can ID them.
I agree. Contacting the police was the first suggestion made to Vinny. All else will flow from that report.

PayrollHRGuy

I was responding to Vinny's response to your post telling him to report it. He doesn't seem to understand that you don't have to provide all the evidence needed to prosecute and convict when you make a police report.

What would i report if Lyft is withholding the passengers information? Where would a report lacking any details about the passenger other than the vague description listed above even get me? seems like a waste of time to be honest

quincy

I actually cannot understand anyone who would NOT report a sexual assault to the police immediately. It seems to me to be common sense.

quincy

Lyft might not be a company much longer anyway, especially if states start considering the drivers employees rather than independent contractors (as has been judged by some courts in California already). Lyft has been operating at a loss for some time.

The concentration has always been on passenger safety - if passengers do not feel safe, you have no business - but with the increase of attacks on drivers (drivers of all kinds - here in Michigan it has been assaults on EMTs) - it is getting harder for companies to entice workers into driving for them.

Especially as independent contractors with no benefits.

PayrollHRGuy

In their IPO last Friday they sold 32.5 Million shares at $72 each.

That's $2.34 Billion. I think they will be around a while.

And yes I know all of that wasn't deposited in Lyft's checking account but they did get a lot of cash.

quincy

In their IPO last Friday they sold 32.5 Million shares at $72 each.

That's $2.34 Billion. I think they will be around a while.

And yes I know all of that wasn't deposited in Lyft's checking account but they did get a lot of cash.
They reported a $1 billion loss in 2018.

PayrollHRGuy

Amazon went almost a decade without showing a profit.

I've got a degree in Economics and I still don't understand and never did how the companies keep getting people to give them money. But they do. It works out well from time to time like it did with Amazon but it doesn't work out well all the time.

I think both Lyft and Uber are counting on fully automated and other tech to take the place of drivers before the hammer drops on the IC/EE issue too hard.

quincy

Lyft is looking toward driverless vehicles as a way to save the business. But driverless vehicles are a long way from being available for use on any sort of widespread scale.

New York City is a major test for Lyft. The regulations are liable to kill Lyft in their most important market.

Just Blue

Lyft is looking toward driverless vehicles as a way to save the business. But driverless vehicles are a long way from being available for use on any sort of widespread scale.

New York City is a major test for Lyft. The regulations are liable to kill Lyft in their most important market.
:)

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=ClliQQpV&id=166BFA225FD6C7E56C050A60686BB56C2FF46633&thid=OIP.ClliQQpVpvYgSQCdS_odFwHaDu&mediaurl=https://media.giphy.com/media/PNxsTBA4xNAc0/giphy.gif&exph=267&expw=530&q=picture+of+the+taxi+from+arnold+schwarzenegger&simid=608002952222934982&selectedIndex=5&ajaxhist=0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">