• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Manufactured Home Proceeds Part of Estate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Exactly. So if I'm going to be paying the taxes on it I don't see how the money belongs to "someone else".

Unless, I'm not going back far enough in the process. She had debt therefore I shouldn't have sold the house this way? Therefore now leaving me on the hook for unpaid debt. Which again is fine, I have no problem using said proceeds for that. There's enough to pay off everyone but unsecured debt in this order:

Debts owed to the United States or State of California.
Expenses related to the administration of the estate.
Secured debt such as mortgages and loans secured by other liens or deeds of trust.
Funeral expenses.
Expenses related to the decedent’s last illness. (this is where it would run dry)
Family allowances.
Wage claims.
General or unsecured debts such as credit card debt.
I suggest that you have a pow-wow with a local probate attorney. You might have to pay a few hundred dollars for it, but it's likely well worth it.

LdiJ

Exactly. So if I'm going to be paying the taxes on it I don't see how the money belongs to "someone else".

Unless, I'm not going back far enough in the process. She had debt therefore I shouldn't have sold the house this way? Therefore now leaving me on the hook for unpaid debt. Which again is fine, I have no problem using said proceeds for that. There's enough to pay off everyone but unsecured debt in this order:

Debts owed to the United States or State of California.
Expenses related to the administration of the estate.
Secured debt such as mortgages and loans secured by other liens or deeds of trust.
Funeral expenses.
Expenses related to the decedent’s last illness. (this is where it would run dry)
Family allowances.
Wage claims.
General or unsecured debts such as credit card debt.
You spending your own money counts as administration expenses (for stuff you spent so far) and can be reimbursed to you as administrative expenses.

JEmlay

I suggest that you have a pow-wow with a local probate attorney. You might have to pay a few hundred dollars for it, but it's likely well worth it.
I think you're right. Just to make sure nothing bites me later.

You spending your own money counts as administration expenses (for stuff you spent so far) and can be reimbursed to you as administrative expenses.
Absolutely. That's why her estate is negative. Funeral, mortgage payments, rent space payments, everything to do with selling the house, ulitlities until sold, insurance... all that is coming back plus fee.

Many thanks to everyone here. I greatly appreciate your time and input!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">