• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my accident settlement enough?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jaycro

TN

I was a passenger and was hit by a drunk driver some months ago. The drunk driver was sent to the hospital and arrested that night. With my leg broken and my chest cracked I had to spend the night in the ER, then have surgery, where they implanted a steel rod and screws in my leg, and wasn't released from the hospital for 3 more days. I was off work for 2 1/2 months and had to undergo therapy. I was not the driver and I did not own the car that was hit plus, I didn't have auto insurance. My attorney has been trying to get me to settle for 50 K for months now, however I still have medical bills and have to have another surgery to take the rod out and scar removal next year. He says that 50 K is all that I am entitled to and that nothing else can be done. Is this true? Why or why not.

litltexas

All that your entitled too? Where is he getting that from? Sounds like you were hurt pretty badly and I would imagine the medical alone was at least what he wants you to settle for. What happens with pain and suffering and lost wages? If you still face more surgery then how can he advise you to settle now anyway? The only thing I can think of is that it's the other persons policy limit.

I also was hit by a drunk driver and had to have back surgery and still facing another one. My medical bills are already over $80K and I've sent a Demand Letter to the insurance company for the full amount of the drunk drivers policy. That is all I can get and it won't leave much after the medical insurance company is paid back what's in subrogation.

I would find out if it's the policy limits and then if you can go for the underinsured part of your auto policy. You can also file a civil suit against the driver but it's hard to get them to actually pay.

BelizeBreeze

jaycro said:
TN

I was a passenger and was hit by a drunk driver some months ago. The drunk driver was sent to the hospital and arrested that night. With my leg broken and my chest cracked I had to spend the night in the ER, then have surgery, where they implanted a steel rod and screws in my leg, and wasn't released from the hospital for 3 more days. I was off work for 2 1/2 months and had to undergo therapy. I was not the driver and I did not own the car that was hit plus, I didn't have auto insurance. My attorney has been trying to get me to settle for 50 K for months now, however I still have medical bills and have to have another surgery to take the rod out and scar removal next year. He says that 50 K is all that I am entitled to and that nothing else can be done. Is this true? Why or why not.
Find another attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">