• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my attorney lying to me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Ron Brenda

Hello,
My wife was involved in an accident in October of 1999. She was a passenger in a car driven by her friend, who was insured. The accident was the other drivers fault, who was also insured. My wife started having back problems and was advised to see an attorney. She has also been seeing a doctor since then. My question is this, Our attorney tells us that OUR insurance is going to have to pay for OUR medical expenses, not the insurance of my wifes friend ( who was driving ) or the insurance of the driver at fault. I thought the insurance of the driver at fault or my wifes friend should pay. We have tried discussing this with our attorney several times, but each time she only says, That is just the law here in Florida. Is she lying to us about this with plans to take that money and add it to her fee from our possible settlement? I know you cant speak of her direct intent, but does this sound fishy to you? Please help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron Brenda:
Hello,
My wife was involved in an accident in October of 1999. She was a passenger in a car driven by her friend, who was insured. The accident was the other drivers fault, who was also insured. My wife started having back problems and was advised to see an attorney. She has also been seeing a doctor since then. My question is this, Our attorney tells us that OUR insurance is going to have to pay for OUR medical expenses, not the insurance of my wifes friend ( who was driving ) or the insurance of the driver at fault. I thought the insurance of the driver at fault or my wifes friend should pay. We have tried discussing this with our attorney several times, but each time she only says, That is just the law here in Florida. Is she lying to us about this with plans to take that money and add it to her fee from our possible settlement? I know you cant speak of her direct intent, but does this sound fishy to you? Please help.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

You actually have a couple of issues that need to be addressed.

First, you are stating that the other driver is at fault. That is your belief, and that of your attorney. However, up to this point, the other driver has not been judged by a court to be "at fault." All facts might point in that direction, but until a court says otherwise, then . . . .

1. In a "Fault" jurisdiction (I don't know if Florida is a "No-Fault" or "Fault" State), the other person is entitled to a defense, and does not have to "roll over" and pay for anything until a court or arbitrator says otherwise. Therefore, in the meantime, your medicals should be paid by your own insurance, if such is available.
If you don't have sufficient insurance available to pay all of your medical bills for this accident, have your attorney inquire from the doctors, hospitals, and other healthcare providers whether they are willing to accept a signed "lien" from you. A lien will protect you from having any medical bills turned over to Collection, and will allow you to pay any medical bills from your net settlement or judgment.

2. You also have mentioned that you were a passenger in a friend's car. Assuming you and your friend are being represented by the same attorney, and despite that friendship, and as facts become more developed, you have no "legal" idea at the point whether or not the "friend" is "comparatively negligent" for the cause of the accident - - even though you don't believe that to be the case. I hope that your attorney has discussed with you that there is that possibility, even if it is "slight." Your attorney has an ethical and legal obligation to discuss this with you and, should have given you a "Waiver of Conflict of Interest" for you to review and sign. Such "Waiver" states, in essence, that you agree not to sue, or make a claim against, your friend, and that you are ONLY interested in suing or claiming against the "other driver." Such Waiver also relieves your attorney from having to include your friend in a lawsuit.

If you and your friend are being represented by differt attorneys, or if you are the only one being represented, and if you are not interested in claiming against your friend, then your attorney will need you to sign a similar "waiver" that will say, in essence, that you do not want your friend involved in the claims or litigation process, despite any potential or actual negligence on your friend's part. This will relieve your attorney from having to ethically and legally involve your friend and that you waive any potential liability later discovered to be your friend's responsibility to you (although, in neither of these scenarios, does it keep the "other driver" from suing your friend in a Cross-Complaint.

Please be aware, that if you sign the Waiver, and your friend is found to be comparatively negligent for the accident, even if slightly, your damages received against the other driver will be reduced by the percentage of fault that a "triar of fact" determines that your friend was also at fault. For example: You are found to be entitled to $10,000.00 for your damages. The Other Driver is found to be 75% at fault, and your friend is determined to be 25% at fault (or Comparatively Negligent). Your final judgment will be only as against the Other Driver, or gross judgment will be $7,500.00, because you previously signed a "Waiver of Conflict of Interest." This, of course, is very simplistic, and the details should be discussed at length with your attorney.

Good luck, and thanks for writing.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited April 14, 2000).]

R

Ron Brenda

Thanks for writing back so quickly. When I stated that the other driver was at fault, I meant that she had been charged with the accident by police. Florida is a no fault state, I have been told this many times. The attorney says that because it is a no fault state, that no one is responsible for our medical expenses except us. This is what I find fishy. Our attorney has not asked us nor has reviewed with us any form like the one you described, the one where we will not hold responsible my wifes friend- the driver of the car that was hit. The attorney has, since day one, has been evasive with her answers, to any questions we have had. This is what is leading me to believe that she is in some way decieving us. We have a meeting with her on 4/17 to discuss what is going on. What should I be asking her about my case, and is what she said about Florida being a no fault state and us being responsible for our own bills true? Thanks for your help.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron Brenda:
Thanks for writing back so quickly. When I stated that the other driver was at fault, I meant that she had been charged with the accident by police. Florida is a no fault state, I have been told this many times. The attorney says that because it is a no fault state, that no one is responsible for our medical expenses except us. This is what I find fishy. Our attorney has not asked us nor has reviewed with us any form like the one you described, the one where we will not hold responsible my wifes friend- the driver of the car that was hit. The attorney has, since day one, has been evasive with her answers, to any questions we have had. This is what is leading me to believe that she is in some way decieving us. We have a meeting with her on 4/17 to discuss what is going on. What should I be asking her about my case, and is what she said about Florida being a no fault state and us being responsible for our own bills true? Thanks for your help. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Oh, but it's true !! You, as a voter, thought No Fault would be terrific . . . until it comes time to make a claim. This is only ONE of the problems with "No Fault" States. Yes, in a No Fault State, you could, in fact, be saddled with medical expenses - - even though you were not at fault for the accident. This is one of the biggest problems that the insurance companies were hiding from the voters when the voters were given the choice to vote on the issue. The "propaganda" of the insurance companies was that "No Fault will lower your insurance premiums and keep the big, bad, attorney from getting his/her fees, that cost you more money in insurance premiums." Bull Hockey !! Now, you know the truth, that No Fault was really, and knowingly, another way for insurance companies to shift responsibility of paying, and in some instances like this, on to you, the consumer to pay, rather than them. Now you'll know how to vote on "No Fault" if and when it finally comes up for a vote in the future, won't you.

Because of "No Fault", your situation is an unfortunate fact of life. Make sure you tell your friends, and family, to vote No Fault out of the State of Florida when the opportunity arises.

Good luck.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">