• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my daughter at risk?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ForkinLuzr

I'm in Ventura County, California.

My daughter, 18 year old full time college student, has an on again off again boyfriend. They have been on again for a few months. She spends time at his house when she's not at her dorm.

He was arrested last week on 3 felony charges, Marijuana with intent to distribute, Controlled Substance with intent to distribute (Mushrooms), and Possesion of a Controlled Substance (Adderall, Oxycontin, Mushrooms....we don't really know).

Bail is $50,000 and he has a Public Defender. Arraignment was today and he pled not guilty.

While my daughter was not involved in any of these activities, she may have been present when some were taking place. Just an idiot. However, the police were staking out his house for 2 weeks and obviously saw her come and go. Additionally, I'm sure they texted and spoke as they were both recreational users.

Despite the fact I told her that the mere association with this guy was problematic, she didn't listen. My question now is will she be charged as an accessory? Can she expect to be arrested as well? Search warrant forthcoming? Questioned? Should I "lawyer up" now?

She was not directly involved in any of the procuring or trafficking, but did look the other way while it was going on. Her boyfriend is not too bright. He's young poor, and frightened. I think he's going into "saving his bacon" mode. Police have asked for his supplier in exchange for reducing one of the counts.

I'm just so disgusted and concerned for my daughter. While her involvement was not in any possession or trafficking, I am concerned that her association alone, and laisse faire attitude toward these felonies are enough to get her ensnared in a life derailing legal process which leaves her with a felony record.

So do I wait until she's questioned or arrested? Should I expect that? Or should I lawyer up now?

Thank you in advance for your counsel.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My daughter, 18 year old full time college student, has an on again off again boyfriend. They have been on again for a few months. She spends time at his house when she's not at her dorm.

He was arrested last week on 3 felony charges, Marijuana with intent to distribute, Controlled Substance with intent to distribute (Mushrooms), and Possesion of a Controlled Substance (Adderall, Oxycontin, Mushrooms....we don't really know).

Bail is $50,000 and he has a Public Defender. Arraignment was today and he pled not guilty.

While my daughter was not involved in any of these activities, she may have been present when some were taking place.
Yeah, I'm SURE she has told you she wasn't involved.

Just an idiot. However, the police were staking out his house for 2 weeks and obviously saw her come and go. Additionally, I'm sure they texted and spoke as they were both recreational users.

Despite the fact I told her that the mere association with this guy was problematic, she didn't listen. My question now is will she be charged as an accessory? Can she expect to be arrested as well? Search warrant forthcoming? Questioned? Should I "lawyer up" now?

She was not directly involved in any of the procuring or trafficking, but did look the other way while it was going on. Her boyfriend is not too bright.
That makes two of them

He's young poor, and frightened. I think he's going into "saving his bacon" mode. Police have asked for his supplier in exchange for reducing one of the counts.

I'm just so disgusted and concerned for my daughter. While her involvement was not in any possession or trafficking, I am concerned that her association alone, and laisse faire attitude toward these felonies are enough to get her ensnared in a life derailing legal process which leaves her with a felony record.

So do I wait until she's questioned or arrested? Should I expect that? Or should I lawyer up now?

Thank you in advance for your counsel.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Why would YOU "lawyer up". Perhaps it's time for your little angel to suffer consequences for her decisions and actions.

She should talk (interview) to at least one defense attorny so that the lawyer can have a good idea in case he gets the call and the lawyer can tell her what to say (not to say) if she is approached.
Maybe she's not guilty, maybe they don't want any witnesses in the soup, and maybe their case isn't that strong. 2 weeks and they didn't find the boy freinds source. Maybe there wasn't that much going on.
But then again. They let OJ off the 1st time....

And she can not have anything illegal on her, in her car, dorm room, or be around anybody that is carrying drugs.

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

Maybe she's not guilty, maybe they don't want any witnesses in the soup, and maybe their case isn't that strong. ... Maybe there wasn't that much going on.
That's a lot of maybes.

How about this maybe: Could the police have her on tape?
[Caller] : Yo, got any shrooms?
[Daughter] : Bobby! Phone's for you!

Bingo, Felony trafficking.

Tell her to not talk to the police and find a defense lawyer. Its up to the DA whether she wil l be charged. Maybe its time for rehab.

smutlydog

While my daughter was not involved in any of these activities, she may have been present when some were taking place. Just an idiot. However, the police were staking out his house for 2 weeks and obviously saw her come and go. Additionally, I'm sure they texted and spoke as they were both recreational users.

She was not directly involved in any of the procuring or trafficking, but did look the other way while it was going on. Her boyfriend is not too bright. He's young poor, and frightened. I think he's going into "saving his bacon" mode. Police have asked for his supplier in exchange for reducing one of the counts.

Unless she was directly involved in some way they probably won't be interested in her. If this life style continues though I can almost promise you that her luck will run out. If she has a reputation for hanging out with dealers she might be prospected as an informant. The cops will have to bust her first.

Look at what happened to this lady :eek:
http://www.famm.org/ExploreSentencing/TheIssue/ProfilesofInjustice/Mandy******son.aspx

That was some article. I found it by going to FAMM Home Page and doing a search for: mandy.
Consider your daughter lucky that he got busted before things got worse. After reading that article, I highly recommend that you get your daughter in front of a good defense attorney ASAP.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">