• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my fate really in the law's hands?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I got in trouble recently regarding some computer shenanigans. It was reported to local sheriff's department. I eventually got a detective at my door. He explained that "The only reason we didn't arrest you is because you are a minor." He claims that the FBI was involved and all that. However, he is a county digital forensics detective. He said the worst that can happen to me is my juvenile record, and the least that can happen is absolutely nothing. Normally I would let something like this play out but I have a job and financial life that depends on more professional and adult aspects of life, and not this juvenile discipline BS. I turn 18 in 1 month. Should I keep my 3rd eye open in this situation or is this simply a stern slap on the wrist situation? I was quite literally left on a cliff hanger. The last contact I had with any of this was more than a week ago.

xylene

What state did this occur in?

Define shenanigans? That could be sooooo many things.

Since you claim to be financially independent, and that this could jeopardize that, you should consult a lawyer.

You probably admitted to more than you realize just talking to the detective. You know they can lie and completely BS you, right?

Criminal investigations can take yearssss.
Your worrying this be resolved or have more play out in a week suggests they might have you by the short and curly more than you think.

Certainly lay off the "shenanigans" and if shenanigans are how you earn your money, or ever made any money you might be in even more trouble than you think.

Juveniles do get charged as adults All The Time, especially for serious federal crimes, which computer crimes usually are (you know how the internet works).

What state did this occur in?

Define shenanigans? That could be sooooo many things.

Since you claim to be financially independent, and that this could jeopardize that, you should consult a lawyer.

You probably admitted to more than you realize just talking to the detective. You know they can lie and completely BS you, right?

Criminal investigations can take yearssss.
Your worrying this be resolved or have more play out in a week suggests they might have you by the short and curly more than you think.

Certainly lay off the "shenanigans" and if shenanigans are how you earn your money, or ever made any money you might be in even more trouble than you think.

Juveniles do get charged as adults All The Time, especially for serious federal crimes, which computer crimes usually are (you know how the internet works).
I appreciate the response. This occurred in Florida. I am a cyber-security enthusiast with really stupid and irresponsible tendencies. It involved my school, and I actually got it resolved and my expulsion removed off record, however a new challenger approached right when things settled. I have no problem getting an attorney, however I just want to know what is even going on anymore. This situation was handled so poorly by the school and county and they have a lot of emphasis on not communicating with me.

adjusterjack

xylene

Generally speaking the police / authorities don't communicate with criminal suspects while they are building a case, excepting of course to elicit incriminating statements..

It doesn't take cyber-security enthusiast to know the government have made numerous prosecutions with serious punishments / lengthy jail terms for people allegedly engaging in white-hat or otherwise civically minded hacking exploits.

You've explained that you escaped trouble but let your ego get the better of you. That can really trip you up if being investigated. You won't be able to talk your way out of trouble.

Get a lawyer ready to go and don't say anything to the police or anyone about your... enthusiasm.

People with

end up with long prison sentences.

Oh, you screwed up but the school handled it poorly? Yeah, right.

No surprise there.

All I can tell you is keep your mouth shut and your nose clean.
It's what I've been doing man. There is no excuse for my situation. However, I've quite literally ditched that entire aspect of my life. My mistakes collapsed on me really hard and I want to make sure it doesn't happen again. I've been working super hard in school trying to graduate early, I've been helping the community more, and even talking to people like me and telling them how this can hurt them. My mistakes collapsed in on me like an avalanche. Failure seems to be the best teacher for me, but it likes to hit me when I least require it.

You've explained that you escaped trouble but let your ego get the better of you..
I don't consider it an escape. You can't escape from trouble unless you want trouble. I signed an agreement with my school and even offered to help fix any security vulnerabilities. The staff has loved me for years except for a select few, (the IT guy obviously). I just want to know what to expect. I plan to handle this in a responsible manner, and I hoped someone in this community could give some constructive info on what to reasonably suspect.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
This situation was handled so poorly by the school and county often translates to, "I didn't get away scot-free and actually had to take responsibility for my actions".

This situation was handled so poorly by the school and county often translates to, "I didn't get away scot-free and actually had to take responsibility for my actions".
Man this forum is so helpful and constructive. You do realize this forum is advertised for advice? It's a legal advice forum, nothing on here is ethical, including the lawyers and attorneys people hire.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Says the kid who's facing legal action because of his ethics.

You got advice; it just wasn't what you wanted to hear. The opinions on your behavior come for free with the package. Nothing unethical about that. No one here has a crystal ball to know what action is forthcoming, nor is there any law you can invoke that will force anyone to communicate with you before they are ready to do so. If it's uncomfortable not knowing what's happening, that's frankly just too bad.

xylene

You can reasonably suspect [sic] that you are under investigation, that you'll be a suspect in future crimes for a long time, that the ultimate result of an investigation might take 18 months or more, if you have any co-conspirators or even allies or cronies that you could be pulled into their misdeeds and you might get civil billing for a bunch if any of this involved piracy or violation of copyright - even if seemingly trivially.

Please, understand that telling you how things are going to be seen is advice.
'They didn't want the help I offered' is not an exculpatory thing for you. It's an admission.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">