• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my fate really in the law's hands?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Whoops2u

I got in trouble recently regarding some computer shenanigans. It was reported to local sheriff's department. I eventually got a detective at my door. He explained that "The only reason we didn't arrest you is because you are a minor." He claims that the FBI was involved and all that. However, he is a county digital forensics detective. He said the worst that can happen to me is my juvenile record, and the least that can happen is absolutely nothing. Normally I would let something like this play out but I have a job and financial life that depends on more professional and adult aspects of life, and not this juvenile discipline BS. I turn 18 in 1 month. Should I keep my 3rd eye open in this situation or is this simply a stern slap on the wrist situation? I was quite literally left on a cliff hanger. The last contact I had with any of this was more than a week ago.
Since many computer crime convictions include a probation/parole condition of not using a computer, I'd keep your 3rd eye open.

quincy

Here is a link to Florida's 2018 computer-related crime laws: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0800-0899/0815/0815.html

And here is a link to information on federal cyber crimes: https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/cyber

If you previously hacked into your school's computer system - regardless of how the situation was handled at the time and what you have done to redeem yourself since - you will be a natural suspect for police in any other computer crimes committed in your area.

I suggest you watch the YouTube video "Don't Talk to the Police" (linked to below) and I suggest you get to know a criminal defense attorney in your area should you need to contact an attorney in the future.

Good luck.

Last edited:

quincy

The Urban Dictionary definition of leecher: The act of taking without providing anything of substance in return (downloading with no uploads).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">