• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is My Lease Still Valid?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nnedostup

Is Lease Still Valid?

In July 2000 I signed a lease writing on it that it was contigent upon them fixing "x" amount of items. Most were fixed, but not all. OH law states that after 30 days of written notice, the tenant may 1) pay rent to clerk or courts until repairs are made, 2) Apply to the court to force landlord to pay, 3) End the lease or 4) Cancel the renal agreement and move out. It has been well over 30 days and at least one request was not obliged by the Landlord. Is this grounds enough to consider my lease broken, therefore allowing me to move without penalty? Any other suggestions???

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions you have!

[Edited by nnedostup on 12-19-2000 at 04:58 PM]

N

nnedostup

Last Item

There is a skylight in the apt. that has been unfinished for 4 years. Not leaking or anything of the sort, but has not been fixed after multiple requests- including one written on lease.

N

nnedostup

I'm not certain but it's pretty crude around the edges. Not sure how I'd go about verifying that with any certainty. Sure looks possible though.

HomeGuru

Then I would consider this a purely cosmetic item which in no way affects the health or safety of the occupants or the rentability of the property. Therefore this is not grounds to terminate your lease.

N

nnedostup

Thanks for your help HomeGuru. Just wondered since I live in a fairly nice apt. and frankly pay for cosmetics. Any suggestions on getting it completed?

HomeGuru

Send a certified letter to L stating the situation, that when you moved in there was an agreement that the items would be fixed etc. etc. Then request that he comply with his agreement or be in default. Search the State Statutes and educate yourself. You may even want to cite a sentence or two out of the L/T laws to make your request really sound official.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">