• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my marriage valid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kyvonne49

Arizona
I was married on 12/16/2014 and I have filed for divorce on 5/4/2018. My spouse was served the divorce papers on 5/11/2018. However, on 5/8/2018 I received a message on Facebook from a woman claiming to be married to my spouse since 1996 and their divorce was never finalized. So does that mean our marriage is not legal and what about our divorce papers that I had already Filed? Please help

xylene

You should bring this to the attention of YOUR Lawyer. If you are getting divorced without a lawyer, this means you need one. If you and your wife are sharing a lawyer in some kind of quasi amicable divorce, the time to get your own lawyer is now.

Kyvonne49

You should bring this to the attention of YOUR Lawyer. If you are getting divorced without a lawyer, this means you need one. If you and your wife are sharing a lawyer in some kind of quasi amicable divorce, the time to get your own lawyer is now.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Arizona
I was married on 12/16/2014 and I have filed for divorce on 5/4/2018. My spouse was served the divorce papers on 5/11/2018. However, on 5/8/2018 I received a message on Facebook from a woman claiming to be married to my spouse since 1996 and their divorce was never finalized. So does that mean our marriage is not legal and what about our divorce papers that I had already Filed? Please help
If in fact he was married to someone else at the time he married you that would indeed mean that your marriage is invalid. There would still be issues of property division to work out, however. I suggest you discuss this with your lawyer (or consult a lawyer if you do not yet have one) to investigate this claim and determine the impact it will have on the divorce action.

PayrollHRGuy

Follow Taxing Matters advice.

But, just to clarify for @Kyvonne49 the claim of the woman on Facebook doesn't mean anything it is just a claim and proves nothing.

HRZ

Agree...you need a lawyer ...and gather what information you can as to names, dates, location of the supposed prior incomplete divorcee. Etc. your attorney is going to need to fact check the supposed incomplete divorce.

Do not discuss it with " Hubby" or any lawyer used by Hubby.

Bigamy is a felony in AZ.

xylene

But, just to clarify for @Kyvonne49 the claim of the woman on Facebook doesn't mean anything it is just a claim and proves nothing.
you've reversed the order... it PROVES nothing. It MEANS a very great deal to how Kyvonne49 should now proceed... especially if she was expecting an uncomplicated divorce.

PayrollHRGuy

The OP wrote, in part, "...So does that mean our marriage is not legal...", referring only to the Facebook message.

Since TM's post didn't touch on the point I wanted to tell the OP that the message doesn't mean what she asked if it means. It doesn't it is simply a claim that somebody made. The OP has no idea if it has any basis in reality.

LdiJ

Arizona
If she is telling the truth (and its possible she is not) then it would mean that your marriage is void. Even if your marriage is void, its better to go on with the divorce and make things official so that it will never be an issue in the future.

Kyvonne49

Actually its true because I looked it up. She filed for divorce but never finalized it so the case was dismissed due to lack of service

LdiJ

Actually its true because I looked it up. She filed for divorce but never finalized it so the case was dismissed due to lack of service
Again, you need to continue with your own divorce in order to avoid possible issues in the future. Consult with a local attorney if you do not already have one.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">