• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my rental lease valid if I am billed monthly for a different amount than the lease reads?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mezzaforte

What is the name of your state? Florida
My lease says my rent is $1268 but I am billed $1295. Some of this variance is utilities which Im aware of but the base rent stated in my lease is not reflected on the utility/monthly rent invoice. Also the monthly fee for trash does not match. Thanks!

zddoodah

The answer to the question is that of course your lease is still valid. Given that the discrepancy is less than $27, it's pretty trivial, but you obviously should ask the landlord to explain why the base rent is different on the invoices.

FarmerJ

Your landlord is the one who is supposed to be the professional knowing what they are doing and if they make a mistake that is in the tenants favor they can ask the tenant to willingly pay the difference but they cannot force the tenant SO in your situation it is up to you as to what you want to do , if you don't care if you have to move out at the end of the lease you could stop the electronic billing and pay the rent listed on the lease and pay any other fees you agreed to pay separately If the LL wont budge then maybe you might want to remind them that they could look like a horses backside in court if the numbers don't all add up. If your truly happy where you live then its up to you if you choose to take no action or to get them to fix their mistakes.

mezzaforte

Your landlord is the one who is supposed to be the professional knowing what they are doing and if they make a mistake that is in the tenants favor they can ask the tenant to willingly pay the difference but they cannot force the tenant SO in your situation it is up to you as to what you want to do , if you don't care if you have to move out at the end of the lease you could stop the electronic billing and pay the rent listed on the lease and pay any other fees you agreed to pay separately If the LL wont budge then maybe you might want to remind them that they could look like a horses backside in court if the numbers don't all add up. If your truly happy where you live then its up to you if you choose to take no action or to get them to fix their mistakes.
horses backside lol. That made my day haha. Thanks for your reply. My lease is over 8/30/20 but I want out as the apartments were totally misrepresented, no maintenance, etc (long story). I was just hoping the lease would be null if the #'s didn't add up, which they do not.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
horses backside lol. That made my day haha. Thanks for your reply. My lease is over 8/30/20 but I want out as the apartments were totally misrepresented, no maintenance, etc (long story). I was just hoping the lease would be null if the #'s didn't add up, which they do not.
Nope - you could have questioned the amount at any time. You willingly paid the excess amount.

FarmerJ

As to repair issues if its a mechanical / structural defect like a outlet that doesn't work . a light that doesn't work, door or window that will not shut correctly so cold air comes in, leaking plumbing , call your city housing inspections desk and ask them to send someone out to order to the LL to make repairs.

zddoodah

As to repair issues if its a mechanical / structural defect like a outlet that doesn't work . a light that doesn't work, door or window that will not shut correctly so cold air comes in, leaking plumbing , call your city housing inspections desk and ask them to send someone out to order to the LL to make repairs.
The things you mentioned are neither mechanical nor structural defects, and I'd be shocked if any city in the U.S. would send an inspector out for such things (much less "order" a landlord to fix).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">