• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is newspaper libel ?..

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pothole24

What is the name of your state?montana .My son responded to help a deputy sheriff who was wounded and his partner was killed.He aided the officer by pointing his rifle at the suspect, demanding his surrender ,handcuffed the suspect and placed him in the patrol car. He gave a statement to police at that time.the local paper printed a different version stating that it was "official" They stated that the wounded officer took the suspect into custody with no mention of my son. The paper later ran a story commenting on his nomination for a national hometown award by stating that they had no factual information to back his story up and that they had received conflicting stories.All the witnesses at the trial,including my son testified exactly as he had earlier stated.The local paper ran a story at the completion of the trail stating the testimony given was that the deputy handcuffed the suspect and placed him in the car.We have the trail transcript,their statement is completely false. is the newspaper guilty of libel by continueing to print information that is not true and calls into question my sons honesty?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

pothole24 said:
What is the name of your state?montana .My son responded to help a deputy sheriff who was wounded and his partner was killed.He aided the officer by pointing his rifle at the suspect, demanding his surrender ,handcuffed the suspect and placed him in the patrol car. He gave a statement to police at that time.the local paper printed a different version stating that it was "official" They stated that the wounded officer took the suspect into custody with no mention of my son. The paper later ran a story commenting on his nomination for a national hometown award by stating that they had no factual information to back his story up and that they had received conflicting stories.All the witnesses at the trial,including my son testified exactly as he had earlier stated.The local paper ran a story at the completion of the trail stating the testimony given was that the deputy handcuffed the suspect and placed him in the car.We have the trail transcript,their statement is completely false. is the newspaper guilty of libel by continueing to print information that is not true and calls into question my sons honesty?

My response:

The newspaper can say whatever it wants, and there's nothing you or anyone can do about it in this instance. As a matter of fact, the newspaper didn't even have to "run" the story.

Oh, and the word is "trial", not "trail."

IAAL

BelizeBreeze

pothole24 said:
There is no libel here.

My question to you is why haven't you contacted the publisher and demanded a retraction based on the trial transcript and a personal, written apology from the reporter to your son?

BelizeBreeze

HomeGuru said:
I'm eating my "trial" mix and reading this thread about a trail.
PLEASE don't get the two mixed up. There isn't enough Pepto to 'release' a stuck 'trial' once it gets in your bowels

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">