• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is our trust still valid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deecy

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Mississippi

We have a revokable living trust. The attorney who drew it up has now been disbarred. Is our trust still valid?

How can I find out where the original copies are? This attorney was in practice by himself so I can't call a partner. I found out about this in the newspaper after he had been sentenced and disbarred.

Should we have a new trust drawn up now?

Last edited:

xices

In the first place, your original trust document should have been given to you at the time the trust was created. If the trust document was ever valid it is still valid, the question seems to be where it is located. Because you had a shady attorney, he may have kept your document, thinking that he could make more money by helping to settle the trust.

Sometimes trust are recorded at the county courthouse. You could check there if you know the name of your trust. Certainly, if you can't find your original trust document and want to have a trust, you will need to make a new one and KEEP the original in a safe place known only to yourself and your trustees.

deecy

Thankyou for your reply. We do have the trust here but I thought he said he kept a copy at his office too. I just looked at it and it is the original signatures and notary. Thankyou again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">