• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is owning a domain name enough

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JessicaBrown

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ny,Ny

I have an idea for a website let's say it would be called wikihospital.com so i bought the domain name and registered my company under that name.

Now i am wondering if that is enough. Once my website is launched i am afraid other companies will steal my idea and brand it with enough of a twist to bypass patent laws and also brand it under another name.

What would be the best way to make that harder for them to do so?

Thanks

FlyingRon

Owning a domain name or even a trademark provides no protection on ideas. There's nothing to twist? Do you now have a patent (even or an application. provisional or otherwise on file)? If so you're business model is out in public now, you've got no protection.

If you have an novel invention you should see a lawyer about submitting a patent. Otherwise, you're only way to keep it from being implemented by someone else is to keep it to yourself.

JessicaBrown

Thanks for your answer. I don't have a patent yet because i am not aware of prices. I guess i have to invest in a good patent lawyer but what is the use if it's still easily bypassed? Also by experience how much can a patent cost (creation of it by a lawyer)...

JessicaBrown

Hi not yet, i have the domain name and it's ready to be launched but it's offline now because first i need to know what i should do

FlyingRon

If you think this is a novel and non-obvious invention in business, I'd at least file a provisional patent application before going live.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">