• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is pain and suffering taxable?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state? DE; but the accident occurred in PA and was settled there as well.

We just settled a lawsuit for a car accident in which we were the victims. We are receiving an award for pain and suffering which my wife endured; but I had never considered any tax implications. Is this type of award taxable?


Senior Member
Amounts received as damages (for torts) for physical injuries or sickness are excludable from income. Emotional distress is not included in this, except for the actual cost of any medical treatment for that distress.

When you use the term "pain and suffering" you are not describing the type of damages enough to give an answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential