• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is POA transitive

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

t74

What is the name of your state? TX

Person B is POA for Person A; Person C is POA for Person B. Can Person C act for Person A?

Person B is Personal Representative for Person A; Person C is Personal Representative for Person B. Person B dies. Is Person C now the Personal Representative for Person A?

Person A has died. A successor PR, other than Person C, was named in the will. Person B claims that Peron C will handle the estate in the event of her death.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state? TX

Person B is POA for Person A; Person C is POA for Person B. Can Person C act for Person A?
Not unless the POA document that A gave B says that person C steps in when person B dies or allows B to desiginate someone else to act in B's place. Person A controls who he or she allows to act for him for her and C cannot act for A absent something in A allows C to act for A. Person B being the POA for C means nothing with regard to C's ability to act on A's behalf.

t74

Not unless the POA document that A gave B says that person C steps in when person B dies or allows B to desiginate someone else to act in B's place. Person A controls who he or she allows to act for him for her and C cannot act for A absent something in A allows C to act for A. Person B being the POA for C means nothing with regard to C's ability to act on A's behalf.

Thank you. That is what I expected but is not what B is telling us. B has not provided any of A's documents to us as yet.I expect I would not permit B to transfer responsibilities to C outside of court action.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
When person A died, that POA "went away". The existence of a POA document, in and of itself, has no direct bearing on who administers an estate.

t74

B as PR is using her POA to allow C access to A's estate and believes that is she (B dies), the fact C is her PR that C can administer A's estate as well as her own.

I know that POA does not survive death. I believe B is very confused. am not even sure A's POA before death was durable. B made many financial transactions likely to benefit herself while A was clearly incompetent but not declared so by the court.

I don't want B's actions after A's death to end up blindsiding us; those acts pre-death already have.

LdiJ

B as PR is using her POA to allow C access to A's estate and believes that is she (B dies), the fact C is her PR that C can administer A's estate as well as her own.

I know that POA does not survive death. I believe B is very confused. am not even sure A's POA before death was durable. B made many financial transactions likely to benefit herself while A was clearly incompetent but not declared so by the court.

I don't want B's actions after A's death to end up blindsiding us; those acts pre-death already have.
Then someone else needs to file probate for the estate and take it over.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">