• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is signing this Asgardia constitution legally binding?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MentalParadox

Not sure if any of you have heard of Asgardia, the first nation being founded in space? The project looks pretty legit, they've been quite active for over a year now, and the man who started it is putting himself in the spotlight (not hiding, which you'd expect from a scammer). I signed up (along with 500,000 others), more or less as a joke, not really taking it super seriously.

But now, the nation is really being formed and all the legal boxes are being ticked (voting for constitution, choosing a flag, motto and anthem, ...). I'm given a PDF of the constitution, and given an option to select "I accept". Now I'm wondering, is this even possible, or legal? If I sign this, is it legally binding? I didn't really sign it with a real signature, I just ticked a box that says "I accept". Do these people even have the legal ability to consider me "one of theirs"? Am I now subject to their laws, or those of my own country? Can I expect to receive tax invoices in my mailbox if I vote yes? I'm confused.

So in short: if I tick this "I accept" box, is this legally binding?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sorry,

This forum is for US law. We can't comment on the tax requirements of another nation (whether real or make-believe.)

MentalParadox

I don't need anyone to comment on the tax requirements of another country. There is no "other" country, anyway.

I want to know if signing this document is legally binding. I suppose that's more about international law. Guess I joined the wrong forum, sorry.

FlyingRon

The document would have to be enforced in whatever country you were physically present in. Since there is no "Assguardia" it would fall to some terrestrial nation. This site only handles US law. In US (and most countries based on historical English) law, the Assguardian citizenship declaration does not meet the definition of a contract. Second, who is going to enforce it. There is no nation of Assugardia to file suit to enforce it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">