• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is Social Security Disability Recipient Responsible For Child Support?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? Connecticut father needs advice:
My daughter has had a relationship in which she has had a
child ,now 9 mos.old. The father of this child lived with her,unmarried,until about two months ago. When he left her, he returned to his previous girlfriend,unmarried, with which he fathered a child,now about 2 years old. My questions are:
1. Is a person on S.S. Disability Income financially responsible in any way to his child, who lives with her mother?
2. Does he have an open door visitation rights policy?
3. Should the mother obtain sole custody of the child?
The father of this child is in his late 20's and seems to be working the system to his benefit.
Please help us!!!!!! Thanks.

Whyte Noise

Senior Member

That page will give you the specific state statutes, but this is what it states:
“The father and mother of every minor child are joint guardians of the person of the minor, and the powers, rights and duties of the father and the mother in regard to the minor shall be equal. If either father or mother dies or is removed as guardian, the other parent of the minor child shall become the sole guardian of the person of the minor.” Conn. Gen. Stat. §45a-606 (1999)

The mother can file for sole physical custody if she wishes. As for SSI benefits, from what I have read, child support can't be deducted from those benefits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential