• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is taking a stroll a crime??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JJW

Just when has walking or jogging become taboo? Was there some new law passed, or new supreme case that permits curfews on certain activities?
Up until about 5 years ago, I could go about taking a leisurely stroll or jog around the neighboorhood with little notice from the police.
Now the cops treat what I am do as abhorrent. First they give warnings, such blowing in the patrol car loudspeaker, or tapping their lights. And if that fails, they finally stop me on reasonable suspicion>>>what they term as not having a good reason for doing what I am doing.
What is this country comming too?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JJW:
Just when has walking or jogging become taboo? Was there some new law passed, or new supreme case that permits curfews on certain activities?
Up until about 5 years ago, I could go about taking a leisurely stroll or jog around the neighboorhood with little notice from the police.
Now the cops treat what I am do as abhorrent. First they give warnings, such blowing in the patrol car loudspeaker, or tapping their lights. And if that fails, they finally stop me on reasonable suspicion>>>what they term as not having a good reason for doing what I am doing.
What is this country comming too?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

And where is this happening - State and City? Are they the same officers? What have they said to you?

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

J

JJW

I can easily name several states and cities. I have moved 4 times in 5 years, plus I travel out of town several times a year----nothing abnormal, really.
And what questions do they ask? We have had a lot of crime.....what are you doing?.....where are you going?
But I am not the only one. I have heard of others, like bicyclist, skateboarders, rollerbladers, getting hassled too.
And yes, they are the same set of cops, so I suspect a sub-culture.
Would you happen to know of any drastic changes in the past few years, such as a supreme court ruling?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JJW:
I can easily name several states and cities. I have moved 4 times in 5 years, plus I travel out of town several times a year----nothing abnormal, really.
And what questions do they ask? We have had a lot of crime.....what are you doing?.....where are you going?
But I am not the only one. I have heard of others, like bicyclist, skateboarders, rollerbladers, getting hassled too.
And yes, they are the same set of cops, so I suspect a sub-culture.
Would you happen to know of any drastic changes in the past few years, such as a supreme court ruling?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

I would really like to know which States you are talking about. Even loitering laws have come under Constitutional attack; and no, there are no U.S. Supreme Court cases that prohibit those activities. In fact, you can turn it around on the cop, by asking if you are suspected of committing a crime, and if they say no, turn and walk away. If it persists by certain officers, or a certain police agency, you may want to see an attorney about filing an injunction.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

J

JJW

&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;My response:

I would really like to know which States you are talking about.&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

Fla,Al,Tx,Ms,la. At the momment, I am briefly living in Alabama.

&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;Even loitering laws have come under Constitutional attack; and no, there are no U.S. Supreme Court cases that prohibit those activities.&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

That's a relief. I have been told differently by an officer, that the courts were favoring them.

&lt;&lt;&lt;In fact, you can turn it around on the cop, by asking if you are suspected of committing a crime, and if they say no, turn and walk away.&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

Ok, yes, they told me they suspected me of something. They say [the usual] they have a lot of robberies, and insist on seeing my license, to do a background check.
And a couple of times I asked what if I refused, and they replied I would go to jail if I didn't ID myself.

&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;If it persists by certain officers, or a certain police agency, you may want to see an attorney about filing an injunction.

IAAL&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;

Ok, I'll give it a try. Do I need to get any specific info?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">