• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is texting the grubhub automated system automated system terroristic threat here?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ch123gh

Occurred in NJ
One preface:
Live in ma but occurred in nj
I know that this is a really dumb text but it’s just texting the automated system so I thought eh who cares I just need to fill the time.

Late at night and after a very long day grubhub texted me to ask for feedback on the food I ordered. It was one of those automated robot systems that asks you for ratings from 1-5. Naturally, I started messing with it. What I’m concerned about is the following passage. Can you let me know if this constitutes a threat or harassment of some kind?

*the restaurant is a pizzeria named after a common first name so I just replaced that first name with [FN] here*

“Grubhub here! Tell us about your order from [FN]’s Pizzeria. Reply STOP to stop these texts. When was your order delivered?
1 - Early
2 - On time
3 - Late”

“... so [FN] is a good guy you know good kid good family but [FN] the one thing he's not good at is pizza but it's the man's living but it's good enough for late at night when I need food so [FN] can keep his family and I will let him keep making pizza because he's such a nice guy... ”

Yeah looking back over this it almost seems like a threat or harassment of some kind (especially because his pizza was good he can keep his family and I will let him keep making pizza). Am I just being overly anxious about this or could I really be in trouble?

quincy

It was stupid comment. Whether anything will come from it depends largely on how it is perceived by the recipient.

Just Blue

Occurred in NJ
One preface:
Live in ma but occurred in nj
I know that this is a really dumb text but it’s just texting the automated system so I thought eh who cares I just need to fill the time.

Late at night and after a very long day grubhub texted me to ask for feedback on the food I ordered. It was one of those automated robot systems that asks you for ratings from 1-5. Naturally, I started messing with it. What I’m concerned about is the following passage. Can you let me know if this constitutes a threat or harassment of some kind?

*the restaurant is a pizzeria named after a common first name so I just replaced that first name with [FN] here*

“Grubhub here! Tell us about your order from [FN]’s Pizzeria. Reply STOP to stop these texts. When was your order delivered?
1 - Early
2 - On time
3 - Late”

“... so [FN] is a good guy you know good kid good family but [FN] the one thing he's not good at is pizza but it's the man's living but it's good enough for late at night when I need food so [FN] can keep his family and I will let him keep making pizza because he's such a nice guy... ”

Yeah looking back over this it almost seems like a threat or harassment of some kind (especially because his pizza was good he can keep his family and I will let him keep making pizza). Am I just being overly anxious about this or could I really be in trouble?
I agree with Q, wicked stupid comment. :rolleyes:

Just Blue

What is the worst that could happen here? What is likely to happen?
No one here can say what is "likely" to happen...The FA crystal ball was broken some years ago by Senior Judge and he never fixed or replaced it. ;)

Although I did ask the FA Magic 8 Ball and it said " Cannot Predict Now".

quincy

The “terroristic threat” law in New Jersey really does not fit what you did but I am not sure what the worst case scenario is for you.

I suspect the worst is that the pizza guy is concerned enough to call the police and you might have a police detective call you. Exercise your right to remain silent and get an attorney. I think what is more likely is that your comment will be looked at as a stupid comment made by someone who thought it funny, probably due to an over indulgence in alcohol or drugs.

I would not worry at this point.

Ch123gh

The “terroristic threat” law in New Jersey really does not fit what you did but I am not sure what the worst case scenario is for you.

I suspect the worst is that the pizza guy is concerned enough to call the police and you might have a police detective call you. Exercise your right to remain silent and get an attorney. I think what is more likely is that your comment will be looked at as a stupid comment made by someone who thought it funny, probably due to an over indulgence in alcohol or drugs.

I would not worry at this point.
Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">