• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the City responsible?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spotntay

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arkanasas.

I signed an agreement with the city to allow them to run a sewer trunk line through my property. The problem is the sewer line went through a creek and is now blocking the creek and causing water to flood and stand on about 1 acre of my property. Should they had dug a ditch to divert the water back to the creek? I spoke with water management they said they were not responisble that a contractor had done the work. Is the city responisble? Why is it now my problem? Who should I talk to about this?

Any information or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

justalayman

well, since the city hired the contractor, engineered the job or approved of the engineering, supervised the work and paid for the work, they had complete control of the work so they are liable for any problems.

If they have a problem with their contractor, they need to address that with them. You should not have to argue with a contractor that you had no agreement with.

Oh, and to the ; should they have dug a ditch etc.

they should not alter the natural flow of water, especially if it causes a different water level on an affected lands.

they (the city) needs to remedy the problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">