• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is the contract acceptable

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandm

Michigan

The company agree to raising my salary to keep me stay and not to go for the new offer. BUT, they have me sign a new employee agreement for this salary change.

Except the non-compete agreement, the item 8 is really unacceptable!

item 8: termination for Cause.
Prior to the expiration of the initial term as set forth above, the corporation may terminate the employee`s employment with the corporation , for "cause" only, with or without notice, in the event the corporation terminates the employee for cause, employee acknowledges and agrees to reimburse the corporation for all actual expenses incurred by the corporation associated with the recruitment of the employee , the acquision, and/or extension, of the employee`s H-1B temporary visa classification, including filing fees, attorneys fees and costs incurred by the corporation, and trainning expenses incurred by the corporation to the extent that the same are directly associated with the employee, employee agrees to repay these expenses and make full reimbursement to the corporation within 90 days.

They want the money back for recruiting me. it is rediculous, right. is the contract acceptable. I will not sign it.

pattytx

I don't believe this is an uncommon requirement for many companies who sponsor B-1 visa employees. The employer has spent a lot of money in sponsoring you for the visa, training, etc. If you do something of such import that causes them to fire you, they have, in effect, lost the money that they spent on you. If you don't want to sign it, you don't have to. However, if you don't sign it, they don't have to continue to employ you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">