• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the outside laundry shed for my landlords use? (Storing thimgs etc)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MandaBear

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
*Please excuse the long question* I rent a house with a storage shed outside and a small building which houses the washer and dryer. (Washer and dryer are mine, weren't included) When I viewed the house a year ago I asked if either was for my use and was told the laundry one was with the house. This building was full of his things (except.a washer and dryer). He asked if we could help get his tools and things out of it when we moved in. (He is older and in poor health). We agreed to this but when we moved things out and tried to give them to him he threatened to evict us. (Two days after he was paid deposit and rent) so we put his things back into the shed. Since then we have learned he has no electricity and uses the shed to charge all sorts of things and does his laundry. He claims it's his house, his yard, and his building and he can do what he pleases. As far as I have understood when one rents a place it becomes theirs. Does this include the yard? What can be done? Short of moving, we are trying but we are in a small town with few viable.options. Any help is appreciated.

FarmerJ

On this property is there only 1 residential unit ? Do you have a written lease and if you do does your written lease exclude any part of the property from your use ? Does your written lease address the electricity by telling you it the meter is shared but you must pay the bill ?

MandaBear

My house is the only one, yes. He has a trailer down the street but drives up to my house to charge his truck battery and fell phone. He has a hot pkate , a deep freezer, and a battery charger plugged in our there. The power for the shed is the same as the house. The me get isn't shared, it is mine only. He just uses the e electricity i pay for

FarmerJ

Second time asking > Do you have a written lease and if you do does your written lease exclude any part of the property from your use ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">