• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a chance the case can be dismissed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tdimples1006

What is the name of your state?Goergia
My husband & I are recently separated. He was out one night w/ our children and his girlfriend. He lied about it, I got upset & went to the restaurant to get the children. When I arrived there they were coming out of the restaurant, we started to argue. The girlfriend wanted to get her purse out of the car so she could leave. I was standing in front of him as he opened the car door, I reached to get her purse and he grabbed my neck & starting choking me. I grabbed his glasses and scratched his face. He kept choking me until I blacked out and he tossed me on the ground. When I realized what happened I called the police. He didn't tell the police he choked me & at that time I didn't have any marks on my neck, I did the next morning. Because the police could see the scratches on his face, I was charged with Battery/Family violence. The police said that since I came to the restaurant it was all my fault. My husband as just admitted that he did choke me, but he said he won't admit it in court because he's afraid he'll go to jail and it was my fault anyway. He will only say we just started fighting. My public defender says the best thing to do is go to a Jury trial, and tell my husband not to show up, so the case will be dismissed. But then there may be a bench warrant issued. Am I totally at fault? What else can I do from here?

Gee

Tdimples1006 said:
What is the name of your state?Goergia
My public defender says the best thing to do is go to a Jury trial, and tell my husband not to show up, so the case will be dismissed. But then there may be a bench warrant issued. Am I totally at fault? What else can I do from here?
Listen to your PD and get some therapy.

nohr4u1yr

Not just her...

The whole family needs therapy. Your poor kids having to witness their parents acting like idiots. And if the "new girlfriend" is smart she will say the heck with this and never see him again.

And don't say - they didn't see or hear anything - because that is a crock! You all need to take a look at how you react to things and do what is best for your kids otherwise they WILL grow up to be abusers or think it's ok to be abused by someone when they are mad. How would you like that on your conscience?...

Tdimples1006

nohr4u1yr said:
The whole family needs therapy. Your poor kids having to witness their parents acting like idiots. And if the "new girlfriend" is smart she will say the heck with this and never see him again.

And don't say - they didn't see or hear anything - because that is a crock! You all need to take a look at how you react to things and do what is best for your kids otherwise they WILL grow up to be abusers or think it's ok to be abused by someone when they are mad. How would you like that on your conscience?...
I REALIZE THAT BUT THAT WASN'T MY QUESTION!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">