• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JimboJones

I signed a contract in which I agreed to work (as an independent contractor) for a firm for the next 6 months in exchange for 6 monthly payments totalling $50k. The contract stated that if it was not executed by both parties by a certain date the offer was rescinded and the contract was void.

The buyer hadn't signed the contract yet when I signed, though we verbally agreed that I would do the work. He has never sent me a signed copy by either fax or mail. I took another job. The expiration date passed a month and a half ago. Now he's talking about potentially suing me for business lost as a result of my failure to honor our agreement.

Was there ever an enforceable contract?
The contract is governed by WA law.

P

peter

I would say he has no case unles he can prove you recived a signed contract.

Such as a certified letter you signed for.

Or he has a legal copy of a signed document he faxed to you, that is a automatically dated copy that says it was sent and recieved by your machine.

UH oh you lost it, the dog ate it, the kids used it to color on...

--------------------------------------
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JimboJones:
I signed a contract in which I agreed to work (as an independent contractor) for a firm for the next 6 months in exchange for 6 monthly payments totalling $50k. The contract stated that if it was not executed by both parties by a certain date the offer was rescinded and the contract was void.

The buyer hadn't signed the contract yet when I signed, though we verbally agreed that I would do the work. He has never sent me a signed copy by either fax or mail. I took another job. The expiration date passed a month and a half ago. Now he's talking about potentially suing me for business lost as a result of my failure to honor our agreement.

Was there ever an enforceable contract?
The contract is governed by WA law.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">