• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a legal limit that an employer can require a salaried employee to work witho

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrohan3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FL
It’s a long story: I raised $79000.00 for a charity that I love. I used 148 hours of my personal life dedicated to projects where others dropped the ball. Then I was told I couldn’t take comp time anymore, weeks after requested. Is there any recourse? Or a proper way to formulate this grievance letter to ensure that it lands with the board of directors? My boss works for them.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Salaried has no legal meaning. It is a pay method only. What matters is exempt or non-exempt.

Except in Maine and California, there is no limit to the number of hours ANY employee can be required to work in a week/pay period. (There are certain industry-specific exceptions and in some states, some exceptions for minors.) The only question is whether or not you have to be paid overtime for the hours over 40 in a week.

If you are an exempt employee, which is what most people mean when they say salaried, comp time is legal but not required. They NEVER HAVE to allow you to take comp time unless a legally binding and enforceable contract specifically says otherwise. (Comp time is illegal for non-exempt employees unless you work for a state, Federal or local arm or agency of the government.)

There are no circumstances whatsoever under which the law requires an exempt employee to be paid overtime.

Because of the way you've worded the question, I'm not sure if I've answered what you really want to know. If I have not, please clarify.

justalayman

after reading the OP gain, one thing that sounds a bit odd is:

Or a proper way to formulate this grievance letter to ensure that it lands with the board of directors? My boss works for them.
I do not understand what registering a grievance with the board of directors of what I presume to be the charitable organization would have to do with comp time from OP's employer.

maybe OP can shed a bit of light on that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">