• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a limit on arrears?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

my ex is psycho

What is the name of your state?GA
What is the limit on how far in arrears the NCP can be before the CP can file contempt? How can I find out for my state?

We went to court in April for contempt (he was $16,000 behind) and NCP was fined, sent to jail and told to start payments May 1st. Since then he has again fallen $1800 behind and I was wondering if there is a limit. TIA!

BL

Anytime there is non payments , it's contempt .

There are many States where the CSEU is involved , they consider anything over 2 months in arrears , as the guideline for taking actions ( such as license suspensions , Pay garnishments , Etc ) .

Last edited:

nextwife

my ex is psycho said:
We went to court in April for contempt (he was $16,000 behind) and NCP was fined, sent to jail and told to start payments May 1st. Since then he has again fallen $1800 behind and I was wondering if there is a limit. TIA!
Is he still in jail?

my ex is psycho

He was held in jail until he came up with $5000 to pay for part of the arrears. I made a mistake in the first post though- he was $21,000 behind- the $5000 brought it down to $16,000. It took him about 3 or 4 days to come up with the money and then he was released.

So the arrears amount would be the total of 2 months of his cs payments? Or 2 months of no payment at all? He does send some when I remind him, but just enough to get by... not enough to clear up the arrears already accumulated....

BL

So from 16,000 he has gone to 18,000 .

He does pay some but not the amount Ordered . That is Contempt .

You could file and the Judge would decide .

Make sure you State you have to ask before he pays any amount .

Why isn't his Pay being garnished for it ?

my ex is psycho

Blonde Lebinese said:
Why isn't his Pay being garnished for it ?
He is self employed/ gets paid under the table. He worked for someone just long enough for me to get it taken out of his check, then he quit and went on from there.

There are way too many loopholes for these guys to get out of paying. One of the reasons he got behind $21,000 was because he moved out of state and didn't let me know where he was for about 2 years. I only caught up with him because he filed contempt against me saying I wouldn't let them visit. He forgot to mention that he didn't come, that's why they didn't visit him... (hence my screen name here- lol)

Last edited:

BL

As long as you know his whereabouts , I'd file Contempt again .

Does he make good money , do you know ?

How did he come up with 5 grand ?

my ex is psycho

Blonde Lebinese said:
How did he come up with 5 grand ?
Rumor has it his brother lent him the money, but only after taking the titles from both of his cars and threatening to sell them if he doesn't pay back the money. :p

I have no idea how much he makes. He never was honest with his wages when we were together (part of the reason I left), and I don't imagine that has changed.

BelizeBreeze

And in answer to your ORIGINAL QUESTION, yes, there is a limit to when arrears can be charged and that date is on his death certificate.

nextwife

Then he may have exhausted any potential sources of lump sum cash. If he does not have savings or assets of his own to tap into, the money borrowed from his brother may be the only cash he could get his hands on. Other than what he makes doing whatever he does.

And if he was jailed for a while, he may also be catching up on car payments and rent. In some places, if you have no car, you have no access to an income. I know that there is NO mass transit where I live (and almost exclusively residences, no business parks or office buildings anywhere one can walk to), if I had no car, I'd be absolutely unable to continue to do my work. So, it's a catch 22. If he DOESN"T pay for his car, maybe he'll lose it and not be able to do future work, but if he doesn't pay you he could end up in jail again. If he does get jailed, and has no money to get out, then you surely will NOT get support for some time to come.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">