• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a minimum of 40 hours when working out of town

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

Sure seems clemployee who is sent out of state by his employer and must stay in that state to wait on the customer needs to be paid for his time.

The employee is in a different state sent there by the employer. He cannot go home.
Who said the employee is required to remain in that location/state?

quincy

Actually, since he is free to do as he pleases yes, he is
So your contention is that the employee can travel back to Virginia?

And your contention is that the employee should not be paid for a workday (or two) if he is spending his workday (or two) traveling from Virginia to Connecticut and being in Connecticut at his employer's direction?

Last edited:

justalayman

If he so chooses

And then he would get paid for travel time during normal working hours

Now, if the boss says:

I need you to stay there.. They’re supposed to be ready tomorrow

Then that changes things since the employer is in fact controlling the employee and directing him to remain there.

justalayman

I disagree.
Ok, so let’s say the employee flies home to spend time with his wife

Are you arguing he must be paid to make whoopee with his wife?

And your contention is that the employee should not be paid for a workday (or two) if he is spending his workday (or two) traveling from Virginia to Connecticut and being in Connecticut at his employer's direction?
whoa and time out.

I just said if the employer directs him to remain in the remote state it changes things.

And I also said he must be paid for travel time if it is during his normal work hours

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">