• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a way I can find out about a court case involving me, when I was a baby?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CarriB.

Apologizing in advance, since I have no idea how the system works, so this may be a dumb question..

I was curious to know if there was a way I could find information on a court case, in which I was involved when I was around 1 or 2 years old.
This took place in Alabama.
My mother supposedly beat me pretty bad and had to sign over her rights to my aunt. (fathers sister)
Theres alot of complicated stuff i'm not adding but anyway ...
I have alot of doubt/ unanswered questions.
The people who would know/relatives involved at the time, are now deceased.
So asking someone who knows isn't an option.

-

Just Blue

Apologizing in advance, since I have no idea how the system works, so this may be a dumb question..

I was curious to know if there was a way I could find information on a court case, in which I was involved when I was around 1 or 2 years old.
My mother supposedly beat me pretty bad and had to sign over her rights to my aunt. (fathers sister)

-
How long ago was this?

LdiJ

-
You would need to go to the courthouse in question and ask for records pertaining to you, from around that time period. You might have to look for them under your mother's or your aunt's name as you might have been listed with just your initials or some other form of privacy.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

-
You could also check local newspapers from that time; the local library should have those. If they don't, it's a place to ask where those papers might be.

adjusterjack

Well I'm 25 now.
I was somewhere around age 1 or 2.
That's not that long ago as court records go. My divorce was 22 years ago and I can still look up the case file at the courthouse.

Your best bet is a search of the court records in the county where you lived at the time. As already suggested, your name, your mother's name, your aunt's name. Many courts allow online searches. Some even have the capability of viewing the case documents online. If not, then once you find the case number, a visit to the courthouse is in order.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">