• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there any recourse for me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



I had insurance on a truck and the policy was paid in full at the time of the accident. The problem is, the title was in my Dads name and he left the keys in the truck while a friend of his was changing spark plugs and this guy drove it without my permission or knowledge and had an accident. I now have a judgement on me for something i had no control or knowledge of at the time. Is there any recourse i can take to get this off of me?
I just recently wrote the NY State Insurance Dept and am waiting to hear from them. My insurance company at the ime has given 3 lame excuses for not paying the entire amount and this baffles me.



Dear Spammm;

Was the driver insured on another vehicle? If so, his insurance should pay for any claims while he was driving your vehicle.

You may have to appeal to a higher court and that costs money. My advice would be to seek the assistance of a personal injury attorney immediately.

Further, you probably have a claim against the driver if indeed he drove off in the vehicle without your knowledge and consent. The statute of limitations varies from state to state, so act quickly.

Good Luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential