• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there any recourse?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Axslinger

What is the name of your state? AZ

Recently my step-son attempted to enlist in the military. When researching his health history, they found a statement from when he was 7 yrs. old that he had "asberger's-like traits". He was advised to get a more current evaluation by another recruiting office.

The new eval. stated that his mother did an excellent job of socializing him early and there was no reason to believe he had asbergers. When he was at that eval. his dad attempted to go into the exam room with him and he was denied as he was out of high school and over 18.

This was in Indiana. He was told he would have to reapply for the Army through a different recruiters office. So, he came out to AZ and submitted his paperwork and reapplied. The recruiting office was aware of his situation and the hoops he had to jump through.

After waiting for a few weeks, it turned out, the doctor who gave him a clean bill of health later talked to his dad without his consent. The doctor added comments to his record based solely on a conversation with his dad. He states that my step-son may benefit from a, "drug holiday" and that this mom's eagerness to have him join the military sounded like "munchhausen's by proxy". My step-son is not on any medication and never has been.

This info being entered into his record is once again derailing his application. All based on a conversation with a third party and never having examined my wife. The father is against his son going into the military and has done everything he can to derail his career.

Does my stepson have any legal recourse against the doctor?

Brian

Just Blue

Recently my step-son attempted to enlist in the military. When researching his health history, they found a statement from when he was 7 yrs. old that he had "asberger's-like traits". He was advised to get a more current evaluation by another recruiting office.

The new eval. stated that his mother did an excellent job of socializing him early and there was no reason to believe he had asbergers. When he was at that eval. his dad attempted to go into the exam room with him and he was denied as he was out of high school and over 18.

This was in Indiana. He was told he would have to reapply for the Army through a different recruiters office. So, he came out to AZ and submitted his paperwork and reapplied. The recruiting office was aware of his situation and the hoops he had to jump through.

After waiting for a few weeks, it turned out, the doctor who gave him a clean bill of health later talked to his dad without his consent. The doctor added comments to his record based solely on a conversation with his dad. He states that my step-son may benefit from a, "drug holiday" and that this mom's eagerness to have him join the military sounded like "munchhausen's by proxy". My step-son is not on any medication and never has been.

This info being entered into his record is once again derailing his application. All based on a conversation with a third party and never having examined my wife. The father is against his son going into the military and has done everything he can to derail his career.

Brian
A-s-p-e-r-g-e-r-s. ;)

Just Blue

Brian
Please ask your step-son to join and ask his own questions. If he is old enough for the military he is old enough to deal with this...Plus we really like to deal with the legal party here. Thank You for your understanding...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">