• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there anything I can do about this lady lying? Maryland

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TRobinson

Hello, I have an accident last week. Here is the issue so weds morning I was driving to work. On 495 going to get on BW Parkway 295. Now the whole way its traffic. So this car in front of me was just constantly slamming on their brakes for no reason. So I'm already 4 to 5 car spaces back already. I slow up to get back 8 car spaces because I'm tired of hitting my breaks. Before I was already about 4 or 5 spaces away. This car comes up on my bumper Can't see the tag or headlights mind you there is a clear lane on my left to get over and around they don't take any openings just keeps ringing my bumper. I'm in the slow lane. So I go slower down to 55 still the same. So we get to where the exit is coming still on my bumper now I see this car on the parkway get over to let us over. I'm getting over in the lane I'm practically in the lane when I see the Car that was tailgating get's over behind me than they dart over again to the far left lane. Then I stop seeing them so I am picking up speed to go with traffic I see the car that was behind me. I think they were trying to be funny and cut me off but end up hitting me instead. After she hits me I thought she was going run because she did not stop keep going. We finally stop I get my info to switch with her and I go to her window she doesn't even look at me. I am standing there for a full minute so I get back in my car. I call the police and tell them the issue. So the police show we talk I tell him what is going on. He goes to her car and talks to her. He comes back and tells me to switch info as I was going to.

So now she gets out her car finally still no acknowledgement at all and just goes to the cops car. The cop tells her to switch info with me. And still no eye contact what so ever very childish interaction the whole time. So she gets back in her car and get's off on the exit. So basically she did all the that just to cut me off to be funny instead of getting off on the exit in the first place to avoid this whole thing. Sadly no I don't have any proof. The cop did not make a case no one was hurt. it was just her not getting out the car. Now she telling their insurance and my insurance a totally different story. I am not taking fault for this lie when I wasn't in the wrong. When stopped she refused to get out the car as I said to switch info so the police were called. Her insurance mailed a letter stating I made an unsafe lane change. It said, 'This Liability - Property Damage claim has been denied'. excuse my language but I'll be damned if my insurance goes up because of a lier. As I said. No, sadly I do not have video or anything. Just my story and as I said the fact I had to call a cop to get her out the car. Because when I went to her window she did not get out or anything just ignored me till the cop came. And even after the cop came she ignored me and went to the cop instead. Is there anything I could do? Thank you.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
That's life. File a claim with your own insurance company or you will have to pay out of pocket for your damage. Many times a particular driver is at fault but because fault cannot be proven either way it goes the no fault route with each driver's insurance paying for their own damage.

There is NOTHING you can do about it. In the future you may want to consider installing a dash camera in your car just in case.

The other driver's insurance has no obligation to you so they are sticking up for their customer. Since you have no proof of anything you're stuck with it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would like to add that I do feel for this OP. In my accident, the only thing that saved me was driver's admission to the on-scene officer that he pulled out and ran in to me. His later story to his insurance was that I moved in to his lane. If I would have had a dash cam, even though it wouldn't have recorded him actually hitting me, it would clearly have shown that I didn't depart from my lane.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I would like to add that I do feel for this OP.
So do I. Not too many people these days believe in honesty and doing the right thing.

I backed up into a another car at the car wash some years ago. I could have easily pretended she rear-ended me and went with that story. No witnesses and no cameras. I really wouldn't want anyone thinking I was a lying POS and I readily admitted to the police that responded and to my insurance company what had actually happened. It would be nice if everyone felt the same.

Just Blue

So do I. Not too many people these days believe in honesty and doing the right thing.

I backed up into a another car at the car wash some years ago. I could have easily pretended she rear-ended me and went with that story. No witnesses and no cameras. I really wouldn't want anyone thinking I was a lying POS and I readily admitted to the police that responded and to my insurance company what had actually happened. It would be nice if everyone felt the same.
The ex and I came out of the store and got into our car...a woman started to gesture to me. I unrolled my window and she said that she had hit the back of our car. We wouldn't have noticed the damage she caused...(older car with bumper damage already). We didn't report the scrape to the insurance co. It's just nice to know that honesty is not a dead concept. :cool:

ShyCat

I'm considering getting a dash cam for that very reason. I was hit by a commercial truck that ran a red light just a few months ago. My SUV was totaled. The other driver tried to claim that he was just following traffic and that I must have run the red light. Fortunately for me, a witness stayed behind to give a statement to the police officer, corroborating my statement that I was the second car through the intersection on a green light. I am so thankful for that witness. Otherwise, it would have been just another "he said/she said" situation.

TRobinson

Yes. I am trying to get a dash cam but funds have been tight. I had a friend of mine tell me to take her to court but as you said and as I told her I have no proof. I really hope this piece of trash get's what she deserves. I just really hate liars.

commentator

I saw an occasion where a person actually went to court and was told that there was not sufficient proof that it did not happen as the other party said it did. If funds are tight, as you say, save them to repair your car.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There are dash-cam apps for phones out there for a few bucks. One of those and a $12 mount and you have yourself a dash cam. I used this solution for a few months before I got my "real" dash cam...I like the phone version better because it tracks speed and location as well...but the field of view is inferior on the phone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">