• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there anything I can do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Diamondeek

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated!
Here's my issue...
I'm a Gemologist/Jewelry Appraiser and I have a piece of equipment from an Israeli company with an office in NYC.
In January the machine locked me out due to a needed upgrade. I emailed them and they were quick to help and update it.
After the update the calibration is WAY off. Now it doesn't measure diamonds correctly, which turns into a liability of mine if I am giving the public bad info.
So I ask them to recalibrate the machine, since it was working fine before the update.
They told me it wasn't their fault and it will cost me $299 to have them help this once or $799 for a year. (Warranty expired)
Now since January, I have been losing a ton of business. I just relocated from Philadelphia to Naples Florida, I have no money to advertise, so every bit of business is coming from me walking in and selling my services. I am now losing clients due to this issue. This company has even changed my password so I can't even attempt to recalibrate it myself. It's like they're holding my world hostage. If this was ANY fault of my own I would gladly pony up the money for the fix. I feel like they're gouging me here. Would it be considered illegal to do this? I own the machine and can't access anything without this password.
I have emailed over and over asking for MY password, but no response. No answer when I called and I am just losing money and business by the second.
I'm so frustrated with this.
I even emailed the CEO for help, who has responded in the past.
It just doesn't seem right.
Is there any legal action to take since the machine is mine and they changed my password so that I can't even try to fix this issue on my own? Even though it was their doing that caused this issue...
Appreciate any input.
Thanks!

Diamondeek

Pay the money - that's the cheapest route.
Really? I just feel that if I didn't cause this then why should I be responsible? And why are they allowed to change my password?
This is legal? It certainly isn't fair!
I appreciate the response but..I don't feel I should have to pay for their mistake.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Really? I just feel that if I didn't cause this then why should I be responsible? And why are they allowed to change my password?
This is legal? It certainly isn't fair!
I appreciate the response but..I don't feel I should have to pay for their mistake.
You're right! It's just NOT FAIR!

Now, when you're done venting...do the right thing (from a business perspective) and pay the money.

EDIT: I bet the money you lost by not paying the money already exceeds the cost of the repair.

adjusterjack

Agree. Pay the money. You'll be long out of business and bankrupt before any lawsuit reaches its conclusion.

Life just ain't fair.

Diamondeek

You're right! It's just NOT FAIR!

Now, when you're done venting...do the right thing (from a business perspective) and pay the money.

EDIT: I bet the money you lost by not paying the money already exceeds the cost of the repair.

It does. But the principal of this whole thing just sounds like a complete scam. I hate being taken. But thanks for your input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">