• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there anything that I can do to clean my criminal record?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

State- California

These are my charges:

Arrest Charges
CountChargeSeverityDescriptionViolation DatePleaStatus
1 PC 273.5(A) F Inflict Corporal Injury/Spouse 06/27/2018 N/A
Filed Charges
CountChargeSeverityDescriptionViolation DatePleaStatus
1 PC 273.5(A) F Inflict Corporal Injury/Spouse 06/27/2018 NOT GUILTY DISMISSED
2 PC M415(1) M UNLAWFUL FIGHT IN PUBLIC 06/27/2018 NOT GUILTY DISMISSED

I would appreciate any advice on what I can do to clean up my record because I have plans to apply to medical school next June.

Here's how:

Record Cleaning: Arrest With No Conviction - criminal_selfhelp (ca.gov)

Just keep in mind that some government agencies may still have access and with the internet nothing ever really disappears.

Think about how you will answer the inevitable questions. Truthfully with an explanation. Or lie and risk the consequences of somebody finding out.
I know my record will most likely come up during secondary application interviews and I plan on telling the truth about regarding the incident. So after petitioning to seal the record, I will have officially done everything that I can? That is really all I can do, show that I am doing everything in my power to correct this.

I contacted the attorney who helped me dismiss the charges and this is what they just told me after asking about sealing the record:

"You have exhausted your post-conviction relief with the 1203.4. You are not eligible for the 851.91 relief since your case resulted in a conviction. There is nothing else that can be done."

Do you agree?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I contacted the attorney who helped me dismiss the charges and this is what they just told me after asking about sealing the record:

"You have exhausted your post-conviction relief with the 1203.4. You are not eligible for the 851.91 relief since your case resulted in a conviction. There is nothing else that can be done."

Do you agree?
You showed a record of a case that did not result in a conviction.

You showed a record of a case that did not result in a conviction.
Now you see why I am asking for advice here and not from my former attorney... The record I showed is exactly what it says when I look up my case number through the courts. This is what happened with 1203.4

Action DateAction TextDispositionHearing Type
06/10/2021HEARING SET 05/07/2021 AT 8:30 FOR MMPF IS VACATED.
05/21/2021 10:30 AM DEPT. 3T(NON APPEARANCE) HEARING RE: PETITION/MOTION FOR DISMISSAL ( 4-PC 1203.4 .DISPOSED

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is concerning, should I just find another attorney or even ask a public defender for some direction here?
The public defender won't get involved. You should speak to an attorney. Maybe remind your attorney about the facts of your case (it was over a year ago after all).

zddoodah

This is concerning, should I just find another attorney or even ask a public defender for some direction here?
Public defenders defend folks charged with crimes and who cannot afford to hire attorneys. They would have no involvement with your situation. When the lawyer told you, "You are not eligible for the 851.91 relief since your case resulted in a conviction. There is nothing else that can be done," one would have expected a response along the lines of: "Ummm...huh? I wasn't convicted."

You should know, and you should know without having to look up anything at the court's website: were you or were you not convicted?

Public defenders defend folks charged with crimes and who cannot afford to hire attorneys. They would have no involvement with your situation. When the lawyer told you, "You are not eligible for the 851.91 relief since your case resulted in a conviction. There is nothing else that can be done," one would have expected a response along the lines of: "Ummm...huh? I wasn't convicted."

You should know, and you should know without having to look up anything at the court's website: were you or were you not convicted?
I took a plea deal (disturbing the peace) as it was recommended as my best option even though I wanted to go to trial. Honestly, I'm so confused now in regards to sealing and if that's an option for me?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">