• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there justice?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irrecundo

What is the name of your state? Minnisota

I have been terminated from a job by a false sexual harassment allegation. This was done for no reason other then to get rid of me. There was no investigation. I do not know who made the allegation. I am being denied the severance pay of my contract and will probably be denied unemployment. There was no sexual harassment in any shape, form or fashion. What can I do to find out about what the alleged charge is and who made it? Do I have any legal recourse?

pojo2

When you were fired were you told "you are being fired because someone is accusing you of sexual harrassment"?

or

Just fired and you BELIEVE it to be because of this allegation against you?

Absent certain discrimination issues you can be fired for parting your hair on the left instead of the right unless you have a CONTRACT spelling out dismissal issues.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What can I do to find out about what the alleged charge is and who made it?

You can't. It's that simple. They not only are not obligated to provide you with that information, it would be a very poor idea for an employer to give an employee who is accused of harassment that information.

Do I have any legal recourse?

Unless you have a binding contract that specifies the terms under which you can be terminated and this violates it, no.

You MAY be able to get more information IF the employer contests unemployment.

You also are entitled in your state, upon WRITTEN request, to have a copy of your personnel file, but there is no guarantee that the information you want will be in your file.

irrecundo

what I thought

Minnisota

Thanks for your feedback.
The contract does provide for an "investigative" process for any allegations of misconduct. It also requires that I would be present at all meeting of the executive board. I have no idea if any investigation was done as I was not present at the meeting when the termination was decided.
I will pursue unemployment compensation and have a letter sent by an attorney to the Board in regards to the severence pay to see if it brings more to light. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">